Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Help needed to align units to NGSS

Next Generation Science Standards

Help needed to align units to NGSS

Author Post
Erica Grimaldi Erica Grimaldi 10 Points

Hi,   I was wondering if anyone that is a guru w/ the NGSS standards, would help me find a way to link an NGSS standard w/ 2 popular science units that I enjoy teaching.  In 7th grade, I used to do a unit on Simple Machines & students really enjoyed it, but I am having trouble justifying it because I can't find a way to link it to an NGSS standard.  Ideas?     Same w/ a unit that I would like to do around Forensics w/ 8th grade.  Do you know of any NGSS standards that would help me feel like it's a topic appropriate for 8th grade science?  There are LOTS of cool resources online for teaching Forensics in 8th grade, but I can't find how they are aligning it to NGSS.    Thanks for any help that you may be able to offer. 

Ron Drabkin Ron Drabkin 60 Points

Hello, can you clarify your definition of Forensics? In any event, here are some middle school, NGSS aligned resources that contain some kind of Forensics :) https://www.opened.com/search?descriptive=forensics&grade=6-7-8-9&standard_group=next-generation-science-standards

Patrick Bond Patrick Bond 60 Points

With the emphasis on cross cutting principles and science practices in NGSS I think it would be fairly doable to align the units to NGSS. Can you give me some idea of what the current units are meeting in terms of standards?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers