Forums

Forums / STEM / Critical Pedagogy and STEM

STEM

Critical Pedagogy and STEM

Author Post
Peter Klaeser Peter Klaeser 35 Points

Recently I attended a conference in Indianapolis that was sponsored by the Critical Race Studies in Education Association. [size=2][url=#_msocom_1][LU1][/url] [/size]The theme of the conference was “…the space traders, intersections of race, politics and education”. Although the theme does not directly address STEM education and new generation standards, I couldn’t help but think how we as science educators need to be more cognizant of students who’ve been oppressed educationally and how we need to consider these students when creating curriculum for STEM standards. Although it is not feasible or fair to develop a separate STEM curriculum for a certain group of students, there are ways to supplement a science curriculum that will allow students better access to the content and make it more meaningful to them. I have been teaching high school science for over 30 years and still find myself more concerned about covering large amounts of content rather than considering if the students are connecting to what I am teaching.  This conference addressed many points and gave some general strategies that may be considered when developing a more critical pedagogy for STEM learning. Critical pedagogy has as its main goal the pulling of students out of oppression and the awakening in students to a more critical consciousness in how the learned content can be used to impact the world they live in. The conference discussed how many oppressed students are students of color who lose interest in STEM learning because of their oppressed histories and the lack of them seeing any connection to what is learned to their lives. Sessions at the conference described the need for the training of new teachers in the philosophy of critical pedagogy so there can be some implementation of these ideals in the curriculum. Speakers cited deficiencies in teacher training that range from a disconnect between theory and practice and a limited focus on race issues and equity in schools. The conference made the point that teachers need to be made aware of the cognitive diversity created in schools, due to racial issues and political policies. Certainly, it is not within our grasp to change the political or racial structures currently dominant in our society, but it is within our power to create a more critical learning environment in STEM education in order to reach a more diverse group of students and make the curriculum meaningful to their lives.   [hr] [size=2] [url=#_msoanchor_1][LU1][/url][/size][url=http://www.crsea.org]www.crsea.org[/url] you may want to include the website

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Wow,Peter, that is such a timely topic. I left a high-performing, predominately upper class school after seventeen years to take part in a grant that has been in place for three years now. Our parish wrote a PROGRESS Federal Grant to reach those low performing schools with high-poverty students. There are two branches of the grant. One is utilizing instructional coaches to improve teaching practices, and to coach teachers into using more technology with their classes. The other part of the grant is our STEM Team. We have STEM teachers in elementary, middle, and high school. The largest group of STEM teachers is on the elementary level. We serve 12 elementary schools. We have lost two STEM teachers this past year so now, the remaining three are each assigned four schools. I spend one week each month at each school. Our target was 4th grade, but I mainly work with 3rd through 5th and when teachers from other grade levels ask for my help, I work with every thing else, PreK, Special Education, and every where in between. We promote STEM nights, Science Fairs, field trips, guest scientists, the local engineering department at our university, and traveling exhibits. I have been trained and do have lots of cool STEM stuff such as; Lego EV3 Mindstorm Robots, Spheros, Little Bits, Arduinos, and hydraulic kits. However, many times, I have found that the teachers simply don't even teach the basics. There are many reasons for this. The main reason is that teachers feel intimidated and inadequately trained to teach science. This summer we will be conducting our 2nd STEM Institute for teachers. We piloted a STEM RTI curriculum for 4th grade this past year and are hopefully going to be able to offer it to the entire parish. This summer we are writing a similar curriculum for 3rd grade pending approval. I have seen resistant teachers become very enthusiastic about teaching science and conducting experiments that I would have never imagine possible. I have seen students do their homework so they do not miss out on science labs. (Teachers tend to take away the labs as if that is an enrichment class instead of the basic curriculum.) I have witnessed students who are usually disengaged in class become the most excited participants in science class. We start the year off teaching them how to use science journals and by mid-year, those journal entries are elaborate and detailed compared to entries from the beginning of the year. The middle school STEM teachers have reported to us that the students they are getting from the designated STEM schools know which equipment to use and how to use it, they follow safety procedures, they understand the difference between and experiment and an activity, and they are very engaged with increased scores on tests in science. Children have to know what their options are in order to make informed decisions. Hopefully, we will make a lasting impact. Even though we are one small area in our state, hopefully, programs like this will continue to grow and reach all students.

Jacob Hayes Jacob Hayes 2220 Points

Pamela, I agree. With the form of racial diversity and stigmas, it is hard to change a lot of those formats in our lifetimes. There is just to many things going on in order for us to effectivley cover those distances. However with STEM we can reach students in all capacities and teach them required materials and to allow them to make informed decisions. Which is something that will help students develop and grow in ways that may help the future generations develop and become something that will change the way that we grow. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers