Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Close Encounters of an Asteroid Kind

Earth and Space Science

Close Encounters of an Asteroid Kind

Author Post
Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Next Friday, February 15th, an asteroid around 45 meters in diameter will zip by our planet - inside the orbit of satellites in geosynchronous orbit. That's right - the asteroid will be closer to Earth than our communication satellites. Geosynchronous orbit is around 22,000 miles above Earth's surface. The asteroid - 2012 DA14 - will pass by the planet at an altitude of about 17,000 miles. It is fortunate that this object will not hit Earth. In 1908, a similar sized object exploded over Siberia, flattening forests over an area of 750 square miles. A NASA resource on impacts is available - Exploring Meteorite Mysteries http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/Exploring_Meteorite_Mysteries.pdf

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Cris. It will be interesting to see what the news media has to say about this next week. Carolyn

Yesenia Gonzalez Yesenia Gonzalez 11090 Points

what a shame i missed this :( i did however see a ball of green fire of some sort in the sky, falling and left a yellowish white trail for a split second a few days after the meteor in russia hit. i saw it on friday i believe.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers