Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Differentiated Instruction

Physical Science

Differentiated Instruction

Author Post
Patsy Vaden Patsy Vaden 215 Points

Does anyone have lesson plans that you use (other than Layered Curriculum) for differentiated instruction. Our district is wanting us to develop differentiated lessons for multi-leveled learners which would include formative assessments to help in grouping the students based on abilities. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, I thought I would ask any of you that are willing to share differentiated lessons that you have for physical science(any and all topics are welcome.) I have used Kathy Nunnely's Layered curriculum before and am aware of the lesson plans on that website; however, our district is looking for something that is not based as much on learning styles as ability levels. If any of you have been doing this in your area, please share your successes as well as things to look out for in preparing such lesson plans. I thank you in advance. You can send information directly if you choose at my e-mail address. I truly will appreciate any suggestions and ideas! If you want to attach lesson plans, worksheets, lab activities, web links, I would be grateful. Patsy Vaden Chemistry, Ecology, Physical Science Franklin High School Franklin, TN

Emily Clements Emily Clements 895 Points

I do not have any lesson plans for you, I am sorry. However, I am still in school for education and am taking a science methods class. I am sure you already know about workshops and how you can differentiate them to meet the needs of all students. You can create them based on theri abilities not on their learning styles. They are also a great way to incorporate choice, inquiry based learning, and authentic learning into the classroom. This is the book that I am using in my class: Launching Learners in Science, PreK-5: How to Design Standards-Based Experiences and Engage Students in Classroom Conversations. By Kerry C. Williams, George E. Veomett. This is a great resource to use if you are learning to create workshops. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Nina Daye Nina Daye 60 Points

Understanding by Design is good too as a framework.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers