Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science to Kindergarten

Early Childhood

Science to Kindergarten

Author Post
Emily Almaraz Emily Almaraz 360 Points

Hello everyone, I was wondering what kind of fun and engaging activities can we use to introduce kindergarten children with the Force, Motion, and Energy topic?

Kristine Rowland Kristine Rowland 2290 Points

Hi there, it has been awhile since I have taught science ( I am a remedial reading teacher now) but I do remember doing some activites for the force and motion unit.  We discussed that pushes and pulls were examples of a force. They brought in things or drew pictures of things that you can push or pull. For example: a toy car, playing on a swing, a shopping cart, a wagon, a pull toy, etc.  Then we made a diagram of the things that were both a push and a pull- such as a wagon can be pushed and pulled. For motion, I taught them the ways things can move:  straight line, zig zag, fast, slow, round and round, motionless, back and forth... Then we would practice moving our bodies in the ways listed. After we practiced a few time, we made it into a game of Simon Says. They love any activites that get them out of their seats and moving :)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers