Forums

Forums / Life Science / Teaching Metamorphosis

Life Science

Teaching Metamorphosis

Author Post
Azucena Velasquez Azucena Velasquez 410 Points

Science is such a great subject in which teachers can incorporate real-life experiences into the classroom to make the learning experience more fun and unforgettable for students. Teaching about the butterfly cycle, for example, could be a great opportunity for the teacher to bring real butterflies into the classroom and let students observe, touch, and analyze its characteristics. This teaching strategy will help students to have a better understanding of the butterfly cycle and will also allow them to make connections with real-life experiences.

Absolutely! There are also companies that will send chrystalists to you! 

Students would love to watch the butterflies emerge, lay eggs, and watch the eggs hatch into caterpillars and start the cycle all over again! 

Also, some teachers prefer to let the students release the adult butterflies, but students might benefit from knowing that the butter flies generally die after laying their eggs - they survive long enough to reproduce, and then they die. Students may have misconceptions around this idea! 

Azucena Velasquez Azucena Velasquez 410 Points

Thanks Amanda, 

That's great! that would be awesome to bring real chrysalis into the classroom as well. I did not know that you can get chrysalists send to you, that's awesome! thanks for sharing this information. 

I agree with you, I also think that it is important for the teacher to explain to the students that butterflies has a short life span; Students will know what would happen with the adult butterflies after realesing them, and they will have a better undersatnding of the entire life cycle of a butterfly.  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers