Forums

Forums / Informal Science / Science in Math or Reading Tutoring?

Informal Science

Science in Math or Reading Tutoring?

Author Post
Michelle Ankrum Michelle Ankrum 85 Points

Hello!

I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College.  For the past year, I have been tutoring a 2nd/3rd grade girl in Math & Reading, however, she absolutely LOVES science, but I am hesitant to just pull out random science experiments.  I have brought random animals and books that relate to the animals as a type of 'reward' for her once we meet some of our goals in her subjects.  

Does anyone have any ideas to incorporate science in my math/reading instruction when I only meet with her once a week for and hour and a half?

Thank you!

Michelle Ankrum 

Wartburg College
Elementary Education
Class of 2020

Reading & Math Endorsements
Member National Science Teachers Association

Alex Dzurick Alex Dzurick 470 Points

Hi Michelle,

I think you have some really good questions here! As a person with multidisciplinary interests and backgrounds, I've constantly tried to help tear down some of the 'silos' we have built around school subjects.

2nd grade can be a great time to start thinking about measurement, which is a fundamental math skill that can be used in science. So instead of having her do 'random' science experiments, you can think about incorporating measurement. It's a bit above the level you need, but I used to work with middle school students on a project where they measured the water flow from their showers and calculated the energy cost of taking a shower in their home. It was a really great math refresher for them but also taught valuable science skills in energy.

Or, you can start incorporating data analysis. If she enjoys nature, maybe have her measure leaves using a ruler, or use weather data, and then do some math with it.

Math and science are a great pairing and it's never too early to spark her interest and skills in both!

Best,

Alex Dzurick

Center director, Mathnasium of Blue Bell (PA)

I think it is wonderful that you took on the opportunty to tutor young minds in science. I find that all lendomarners become more engaged when they have hands-on acitivties. But you are right, it is probably best that the exerpriments that you chose to do are not 'random.' If you are choosing to do an experiment with a stundent, I would plan these experiments based around a STEM activity. Did you get to partake in the webinar that was all about exploring STEM?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers