Forums

Earth and Space Science

Website

Author Post
Yesenia Gonzalez Yesenia Gonzalez 11090 Points

For us Stargazers!

this is a great website to observe the dates in which you can witness a meteor shower.

When I was 10, I have always been fascinated by the sky, the moon and stars especially, and when i got into middle school i learned more about our galaxy and even the universe! My first meteor shower show was when I about 13, i was playing around in creating a website, on AOL, i got a friend message me telling me to go outside, make sure it's dark around my area, then look up. I went outside, looked at the sky, and saw stripes of light shooting by. I was amazed and in awe that i ignored everything around me and just enjoyed the show. I cannot remember how long it lasted but it lasted enough to inspire me to follow every meteor shower that I can see and experience that show again. Unfortunately I also cannot remember what was the name of that meteor shower, so since then I have been watching all the meteor showers that has occurred and was viewable in my city and could never find anything like what I have seen.

Maybe you guys out there who are not in the city life, hardly no lights, can see the spectacular show! It's a great and wonderful experience you must watch at least once in your life! (or in my case 40000000 times!)

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors

That website also gives you moon phases, times of sunrises and sunsets, eclipses, and much more. That website has been my guide to watching meteor showers for almost 7 years!

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

My favorite meteor show has been the Leonids seen from the mountains by San Jose. Almost no moon that night and lots of meteors!! I agree that they are spectacular. Thank you for sharing the website.

Diane Ripollone Diane Ripollone 3290 Points

Thanks for this website. My students always ask me about meteor showers. Thanks

Brad Johnson Brad Johnson 670 Points

Hello Everyone, I enjoy listening to StarDate, and I've read that there is a StarDate layer in Google Earth's Sky software that will overlay information provided in their broadcasts. The Google Sky software is free and allows mobile users to look up using a mobile device and see constellations conveniently labeled. - Brad

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers