Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Lab Assessment

Elementary Science

Lab Assessment

Author Post
Savannah Stovall Savannah Stovall 190 Points

Hi,

I am preservice teacher learning how to teach science at the elementary level. I am trying to figure out the best way to assess students, while they are doing lab experiments. Giving a test does not seem fair, as students will get different results. I also feel like giving them a lab sheet is not helpful to me as the teacher to see if they got what they needed to get out of the lab. What are some suggestions on assessing if your students are learning the material they need to be learning during a lab?   

Emma Orlando Emma Orlando 190 Points

Hey Savannah,

This is a great question and I am a preservice teacher as well. I would say have a pre lab and post lab paper for them to fill out. With a pre lab you can see what they do or do not know then with the post lab follow up you can see if they gained new knowledge. I remember using post labs and writing about what I saw happening and what that was teaching me when I was in 5th and 6th grade. That way you can read and see what they grasped and then have students who expereinced different things share to the classroom. 

Ashley Aitken Ashley Aitken 180 Points

Hey Savannah! 

I am a preservice teacher as well. I am currently in a Teaching Science course and learning a lot about this! Great question. I would reccommend pre-lab and post-lab assignements. This way, you can have your students expand and elaborate on what they have learned and how their thinking has changed. In my Teaching Science course, we have a composition notebook. Each student has their own where we work out all experiements, assignments, etc. This is something that you could assign each student. You would have them keep their notebooks in your classroom and take them up a few at a time to check their work and participation. I hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers