Forums

Forums / STEM / Starting out with STEM

STEM

Starting out with STEM

Author Post
Cecilia Ruhlmann Cecilia Ruhlmann 4240 Points

Hello, I am a preservice teacher and I would like to know what basic STEM starter kit should have in it? Any help would be wonderful!

Chenda Chab Chenda Chab 605 Points

Hello, I am a pre-service teacher as well and I’m currently student teaching in a first-grade classroom. In my classroom, we have a STEM station where we just have little pencil boxes filled with different types of materials such as cubes, Legos, toothpicks, play-dough, scrap paper, pipe cleaners, and other little manipulatives/tools that they can use to build with. In this station, we have little cards with pictures of things they could build, or they can use an iPad or the computer to look up ideas. The station itself is pretty basic and inexpensive but the students thoroughly enjoy it. I plan to implement a station like this when I have my own classroom in the future. I hope I helped you some!

Kelsey Katcher Kelsey Katcher 3344 Points

It's great that you are are gaining such great knowledge in your student teaching. I am currently a semester away from student teaching. I am well want to gain valuable knowledge over STEM. We have learned a lot of different strategies to use, and have created different lesson plans that fit the science standards. Your suggestion was also very helpful and sounds like a very engaged lesson for students. Thank you sharing your thought and the knowledge you have gained.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers