Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Natural Sources of Water

Earth and Space Science

Natural Sources of Water

Author Post
Leslie Castro Leslie Castro 330 Points

Hi, I am a new 1st-grade teacher and I am currently giving a lesson about Natural Sources of Water. My initial activity is to have students create their own Natural Sources of Water with Play-doh. I just feel like Play-doh maybe a bit too distracting for them, could there be any other suggestions for a hands-on activity that my students can use to create their own Natural Sources of Water without it being a big distraction? 

Thank you! 

Danielle Moss Danielle Moss 560 Points

Hello,

I actually love your idea of incorporting play-doh into the lesson. I think that it would be a perfect manipulative to use for this inquiry. The only way that the play-doh would be distracting for the students would be if they are not adequately prepared to use it responsibly. For this I would say that pre-teaching them on how to use play-doh for academic reasons is essential. I also would set up a concequence gradient if a student is unable to use the play-doh as planned. Possibly the student would not be able to use the play-doh anymore and they would have to then make a scale drawing?

Good luck, 

Dani

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

If they have experience with playdough, then it shouldn't be too distracting.  However, playdough doesn't always work well with water.  Model magic , if your resources allow, might be a better substitute, as would modeling clay.  Clay is always good, but requires a learning curve

Anne

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers