Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Building racers and bridges

General Science and Teaching

Building racers and bridges

Author Post
Mary Russell Mary Russell 3435 Points

Two of my favorite experiments that my college class has done so far was creating racers and building bridges out of balsa wood.  When I first read the description of the experiments, I was slightly nervous, as I have never done anything like that before.  However, after my partner and I began, we were both engaged, entertained, and completely focused.  Our class had a competition to see which team's racer could roll the farthest distance down a ramp.  They were all SO creative and I would love to do this project with my future students.  We also built bridges out of balsa wood and tested each team's to decipher which one was the strongest.  The professor tied a rope around the base of the bridge attached to a bucket.  She dumped an ample amount of pennies in the bucket to test the bridge.  Each team anxiously awaited their turn; the class was able to learn from their mistakes and/or celebrate a proud victory of building a strong bridge, while meeting the requirements. I cannot wait to have a competition with my future students.  Thank you, Dr. Redden!!! :-) 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

You are right, students of all ages love when they can build structures and test them!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers