Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / MS NGSS and Standards based report cards

Next Generation Science Standards

MS NGSS and Standards based report cards

Author Post
Julia Stuart Julia Stuart 30 Points

Hi, I am a middle school science teacher at an International School in London that has adopted NGSS and is moving towards standards based report cards. Has anyone got any advise on what categories are best to use on the report card to fit in with NGSS? Julia [email protected]

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

That's a really good question. I live in Louisiana and we are just starting integrating the NGSS Standards this fall. You might want to look at the NGSS Rubric that is correlated with the lessons and units and see if that would work for you. https://www.nextgenscience.org/resources/equip-rubric-lessons-units-science

Jon Wilson Jon Wilson 90 Points

I reside in California, and a colleague at one of our local charter schools used this (and similar) NGSS rubrics to create a self-evaluation for her students. Key NGSS unit standards were placed into her rubric for a particular unit.  Students would check their content understanding by applying a red, yellow, or green mark to a box on the PDF/paper copy (red = no mastery;  yellow = partial mastery;  green = mastery) as they progress through the unit.  In addition her classroom was flipped (using the available electronic resources for work load and submission of formative assessments).   The unit rubric also became an "exit ticket" for the students, and when submitted with summative assessment data, it became part of their overall reported grade.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers