Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Testing Comprehension

New Teachers

Testing Comprehension

Author Post
Vanessa Manrique Vanessa Manrique 280 Points

What are some ways to check the knowledge of students in grade kinder without always giving quizzes or exams?

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Have you tried giving K students tasks? Like a checklist, you set up something simple like, an apple. Use a guided checklist to determine if the child can name the item, answer where the apple comes from, what observations can the child make about the apple? Or you can do something where they have to complete a task; use a pair of tongs to pick up different types of seeds in a sorting activity. You can also use the Explore All Resources tab to do a more detailed search of what you need.

Julia Covington Julia Covington 30 Points

Hey Vanessa, I am an elementary ed major in my junior year and have been examining some very great teachers. Their style of testing comprehension is often more in more verbal ways, whether its making predictions, summarizing, or creating a visual out of what they just learned and being told to describe (this could even be done using play dough)! If you are testing comprehension in readings, without test, you can pause for reflection (if you are doing it in a group setting) to reflect, predict, identify main characters, and relate to life experiences for long-term memory. Otherwise, I just read a great article about using Project Based Learning to test comprehension. In this, students create visuals to present the knowledge they learned and present. In this, students can show comprehension by presenting knowledge in showing how to solve a problem similar to what was learned about. Here is the article: https://www.teachthought.com/project-based-learning/10-practicalideas-for-better-project-based-learning-in-your-classroom/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers