Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Safety Training Standard - MS

Next Generation Science Standards

Safety Training Standard - MS

Author Post
Krystal Medina Krystal Jennings 220 Points

As everyone else, I am new to the standards as well as teaching. I just received my degree and I am creating my lessons and I am currently on my Safety in the Laboratory lesson. I will be teaching middle school 7th grade science. I am trying to find a standard to use for safety but I am not finding one from my research. Is there one that many of you all use or do you just leave that section blank when creating your lessons? Thank you, Krystal Medina 7th Grade Science Clinton Middle School Tulsa, Oklahoma

Ted Willard Ted Willard 3080 Points

The Next Generation Science Standards don't have a specific standard for safety. Instead, the research suggests that topics such as safety and the nature of science should are best dealt with on an "as needed" basis. So rather than starting the school year with a lesson on safety, you address different types of safety within activities where those actions first come up.

Erin Brabant Erin Brabant 315 Points

I don't think there is one for safety. This one is tricky when admins want a standard tied to every lesson. I wonder if you can use the Engineering Design standard? Have the kids design a lab safety plan? I hope this helps and have a great school year!

Alison Hunter Alison Hunter 150 Points

As a future educator, I find it concerning there isn't a standard about safety. When I think about science in the classroom, this is the first subject I think of needing standards and procedures regarding safety.

Mackenzie Rhoades Mackenzie Rhoades 240 Points

I am interested in learning more about safety standards as well, but have no idea where to look. I agree with Alison, I also find it concerning as a future educator that there are NOT such set in stone safety standards for science.

Meg Griffith Meg Griffith 130 Points

Flinn Scientific has an online video safety course (it's FREE) that is perfect for new teachers. It's about 8 hrs, but includes all the legal implications of safety in the science classroom. Full disclosure, I am a staff scientist there. It is also mandatory for all teachers to be GHS certified, which is an OSHA regulation known as "the right to know (and understand)". Flinn has a shorter video that will get you certified in GHS safety. You can also sign up to get our safety emails each month. We also offer a new teacher survival kit, so if you are pre-service or are in your first two years of teaching, you can send us an email and we will send out the survival kit. [email protected] will get the information where it needs to be. The links below will get you to the safety resources section of our website. There is a safety contract, safety quiz and more to help teachers keep their students safe. http://www.flinnsci.com/teacher-resources/safety/ I hope that helps! Feel free to give us a call if you have questions about safety or anything else science related.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers