Forums

Forums / New Teachers / New teacher Advice!

New Teachers

New teacher Advice!

Author Post

Hey Everyone,

My name is Erica and i will be graduating in a couple of months and was wondering how to implement science in the classroom if the focus is mainly directed to reading and math. Is it possible to cover what needs to be covered when in comes to science especially as a first time teacher. Any advice will be helpful and appreciated.

Thankyou!

Julie White Julie White 260 Points

Hi Erica, 

There are so many ways to implement science and STEM in the classroom through literature. An easy way is to have students read books where the main characters are having to engage in the scientific design process or using science to solve their problems. After reading, you can prepose to your students a design challenge. Some of the many books I think are great for engaging students in STEM through literature are: 

Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell 

What to Do with a Box? by Jane Yolen

The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires

Delaney Greer Delaney Greer 180 Points

Erica,

I am in school now for my Childhood Education degree and in my Intro to STEM Education course we read The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires, like you suggested Julie, and we talked about the design process. We are currently working on a project where we have to find a children's book and implement a design challenge in a lesson and I think it's a great way to implement literature into curriculum and really connect the two subjects.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers