Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Periodic Inquiry

Chemistry

Periodic Inquiry

Author Post
Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I read an article today in the Journal of Chemical Education about an online Inquiry activity that greatly impressed me. I then went looking for the applet used and found it. I am posting both the applet and article here for others who may be interested http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chemlab/info/resources/p_table/Periodic.html

Attachments

Adam Miller Adam Miller 1320 Points

Hello Pamela This applet would be interesting to have students use in conjunction with other learning activities centered around the periodic table of elements. The detailed information provided for each element is a good reference to have for both the teacher and student as well,

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Thanks for the interesting applet and article, Pam. Readers of this thread might also be interested in an upcoming NSTA-hosted webinar moderated by the ACS:
Web Seminar: The Periodic Table and Bonding - Introducing a Free Online Resource for Middle School Chemistry, January 17, 2013 or see
more details about the content of the webinar here.
Carolyn

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Caroline, let me add one more resource that goes with the web seminar... http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/lessonplans/ At this site you can find excellent lessons to go with the archived web sites for Chemistry by the American Chemical Society. (Periodic Table and Bonding is Lesson 4.) There are 6 "Lessons" in the series. I find these lessons are excellent. Furthermore, they are 5E developed, in a great sequence, easy to follow with clear concise directions and examples.

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

I'd like to add the suggestion I had for a website to another one of the forums. There is an excellent interactive periodic table at ptable.com. It is a nice research tool, and helps pull some of the concepts together. It would be a useful addition to the lessons mentioned by Pam and Sue.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers