Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Improving Motivation and Excitement in Class

Earth and Space Science

Improving Motivation and Excitement in Class

Author Post
Valeria Jimenez Valeria Jimenez 465 Points

Hi, my name is Valeria Jimenez and I am in my final year of unvierstiy before becoming an elementrary educator. One of my deepest concerns is if the students will enjoy the instruction and learning process they endure, within the topic of 'Earth and Space Science'. What are some ways you have noticed a benefit of certain hands-on or lectured, single or group ideas in class? If you don't mind sharing I would love to know! Thanks.

Aleeya Cheney Aleeya Cheney 610 Points

Hello Valeria, my name is Aleeya Cheney and I am in my final year at Wartburg College before I become an elementary teacher. I have found that starting with a picture or a word on the board that encompasses your topic can help students to inquire about what they will be learning about. Help them ask questions and then prompt them when necessary. Depending on what age level you want to teach, you can make your questions complex or simplified. This is a student-centered activity and allows for the students to ask questions they are curious about so you know where their prior knowledge lies. Inquiry-based learning is great to use with elementary students because they actively become curious and come up with good questions on their own in which you can uncover as you go through the lesson. Think-pair-share is a great way to get your students talking about what they think and what their peers think as well. First you allow one minute for them to think and then you have them share their thoughts with a peer sitting next to them. After a couple minutes (or when the discussion dies down), ask for volunteers to share to the class what they think. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions on anything I mentioned.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers