Forums

Forums / New Teachers / How to succeed in the first year?

New Teachers

How to succeed in the first year?

Author Post
Helen Rodriguez Helen Rodriguez 275 Points

Hello everyone! I am a student at FIU who will soon be in the classroom with the students. I was wondering what makes the teacher succeed in the first year? I am nervous even thinking about this. I have ideas on how I want to run my classroom I still though feel like I need more tips, guides, and good advice to push me through. Since covid I have been nervous about teaching in a classroom because it is not the same as it used to be.. 

Laura Karpenkopf Laura Karpenkopf 505 Points

Hi Helen! I really appreciate your post because I also have those doubts and would love some guidance as to how to succeed in my first year. I attend FIU as well and I am currently in my junior year so my time is fast approaching. I know how you feel about being nervous, but I think something that would help us is to plan ahead, have great classroom management, and most importantly try our best to connect with our students. I am sorry I am not much help because I am feeling the same way but I am positive you will succeed and be an awesome teacher!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers