Forums

Forums / Informal Science / Expert Needed!

Informal Science

Expert Needed!

Author Post
Rebecca Daniel Rebecca Daniel 55 Points

I love the idea of informal science, but I am having a hard time grasping the idea.  I would love to see some sample lessons or integrations... does anyone know of a place I can find that?  I could also use some clarification on informal science in general, are there any good books that could help?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Rebecca, The NSTA has a position statement about Informal Science Education at: http://www.nsta.org/informal/ Hopefully that will give you a suitable definition. There are gobs of journal articles and NSTA books on informal science and learning. Try a search putting in the search space: "informal learning". Then narrow the search down to a few hundred resources by filtering for lesson plans in the left margin. Best, Carolyn

Megan Doty Megan Doty 11847 Points

Hi Rebecca,

I'd like to suggest looking into the 'Citizen Science' columns that appear in Science Scope - they are fun, hands-on activities that can be completed in a variety of places (not just a classroom). Check out this search below:

https://common.nsta.org/search/default.aspx?action=browse&text=citizen%20science&price=&type=journal&subject=&topic=0&gradelevel=Middle%20School&sort=1&page=0&dep=&coll=&author=

Let me know what you think!

-Megan

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

I would agree with the suggestion to involve students in authentic “citizen science” projects. In these regional and national projects, participants record observations in their own communities and upload data to a project database. Students get to see “their” data used as part of a larger project and are encouraged to pose their own research questions. Students can participate according to your schedule. These ongoing projects illustrate how real studies are longitudinal, extending over weeks, months, and years.

Some that I'm familiar with inlcude Cornell Lab of Ornithology's BirdSleuth and Feederwatch. In Project BudBurst participants chart their observations of plant growth. Monarch Watch has teams documenting the migration of these insects.

The SciStarter site is a clearinghouse of citizen science projects, searchable by areas of geography and interest. It also has a good overview of what citizen science is.

Mary B

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers