Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Creative ways for a final assessment?

Evaluation and Assessment

Creative ways for a final assessment?

Author Post
Uma Mahajan Uma Mahajan 1640 Points

Hi, I am a second year biology/ chem teacher and I am looking to see if we can give the students their final exams slightly more creatively rather than a paper pen 100 points final. Any ideas?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

If you have an experiment that could assess what they have learned, have them do that and grade it. Or ask them to write everything they have learned. Give them a time limit. It is subjective and you have a lot of reading to do, but it is very revealing.

Dana Jara Dana Jara 1375 Points

Try searching for "authentic assessments" or "creative summative assessments". I found a website (http://www.teachhub.com/40-alternative-assessments-learning) with many ideas for assessment alternatives to paper and pencil. You could even offer students a choice of activities for their final. The ideas for science include: 25. Help Wanted Ad Write an ad to find a “professor” who can help to explain the subject at hand. 26. Singing Telegram More musically-inclined students may love to create a song about the latest chapter. 27. Calendar Mark on a calendar (paper or electronic copy) the time frame for how long it takes to see changes in a scientific event (such as erosion or plants growing). 28. Diary Pen a diary entry from a famous scientist. 29. Advice Column Students write advice to an “anonymous friend” who has a scientific problem that needs solved. 30. Trivia Game Students create the questions (and answers) that will be used in a review game. 31. T-shirt Design a t-shirt that matches the current science concepts. 32. Experiment No explanation needed for this one.

Cleopatra Thomas Cleopatra Thomas 833 Points

Thank you for the website! I have a t-shirt model to use.This was a good reminder. I think designing a t-shirt for one of our concepts will be great for my 6th grade students. They like to create board games as well, but it is sometimes challenging to carve out the time to play them. Hmmm... maybe I can have them to use a "real" t shirt as well.

Patricia Wolf Patricia Wolf 1080 Points

As a Preservice teacher, I was looking for new ways to conduct assessments. Thank you for this link!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers