Forums

Forums / Next Generation Science Standards / Writing a Unit in Bio with NGSS. Help Requested.

Next Generation Science Standards

Writing a Unit in Bio with NGSS. Help Requested.

Author Post
Lynn Mertz Lynn Mertz 50 Points

I need some assistance in creating my first unit in Biology using the NGSS. This is my first year teaching in High School. There is no curriculum of any kind for science at my school, so I am having to create it as I go. I am working on the Structure and Function section (LS1 1-3). I have been picking these standards apart and determining the Big Ideas and yada yada yada. I have been trying to see what others are teaching in this section by looking around online (I'm the only science teacher in my school and I won't get a mentor teacher from a neighboring school until after classes begin). I keep seeing lots of time spent on prokaryote v eukaryote and getting into the parts of a cell in great depth. From what I can see the standards only ask us to address the parts of the cell in terms of only the essential parts for all cells. I am interpreting this as only what all cells share in common. The rest of it can be mentioned, but not focused on. Kind of a good to know, but not testable kind of situation. History isn't mentioned in the standards anywhere. Obviously history is good to know, but if I can save a day or two by condensing it into an F.Y.I. addon to the primary lesson I would prefer that. I would like to know what more experienced teachers, with the NGSS and biology topics, think. Can I gloss over history, and in depth cell parts? Or, am I misunderstanding the NGSS? cross posting this on the NGSS forum

Meg Griffith Meg Griffith 130 Points

Hi- I sent you a pm about Flinn resources, but I wanted to address your question about LS1A- Structure and Function. Some of the content for this DCI would include structure of DNA, RNA and protein synthesis. The central dogma of molecular biology would fit in this DCI. As for cells, the emphasis should be on major processes within cells. Memorization of the parts is not central in NGSS. For example, the cell membrane is always involved in maintaining homeostasis through diffusion and osmosis. Therefore you can get to that central theme and discuss how the cell membrane's structure is evolved to ensure that the organism maintains homeostasis. Another central component of LS1A is the hierarchy of life and how the organization of multi-cellular organisms helps to maintain the whole organism. Staying with diffusion and osmosis, you teach kidney function and look at the structure of the kidney and how it maintains the health of the organism. Enzymes also help to keep toxins out of cells by breaking them down, so an enzyme lab would be appropriate. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Meg Griffith Meg Griffith 130 Points

Hi- I sent you a pm about Flinn resources, but I wanted to address your question about LS1A- Structure and Function. Some of the content for this DCI would include structure of DNA, RNA and protein synthesis. The central dogma of molecular biology would fit in this DCI. As for cells, the emphasis should be on major processes within cells. Memorization of the parts is not central in NGSS. For example, the cell membrane is always involved in maintaining homeostasis through diffusion and osmosis. Therefore you can get to that central theme and discuss how the cell membrane's structure is evolved to ensure that the organism maintains homeostasis. Another central component of LS1A is the hierarchy of life and how the organization of multi-cellular organisms helps to maintain the whole organism. Staying with diffusion and osmosis, you teach kidney function and look at the structure of the kidney and how it maintains the health of the organism. Enzymes also help to keep toxins out of cells by breaking them down, so an enzyme lab would be appropriate. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Erica Price ERICA PRICE 125 Points

good resources here. 
 https://www.teachengineering.org/index.php

erica

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers