Forums

Forums / New Teachers / How to overcome lack of experience?

New Teachers

How to overcome lack of experience?

Author Post
Janelle Falcon Janelle Falcon 500 Points

Hello, I’m a junior from the University of Texas Rio Grande, I’m currently in the education program to become a teacher myself. I decided to join the program to gain experience that I lack in the education field, but I still feel nervous that in becoming a teacher I’m going to behind compared to those that already have experience in the field like as a substitute or a TA. I love science and if given the opportunity to teach it I feel like I would be very devoted, I just feel insecure about my lack of experience and with the current situation where schools are now online, I feel like experience I could have gained now is lost. I hope that I can hear from other people’s experiences to learn from them as I go along. Thank you in advance!

Jose Cantu Jose Cantu 510 Points

Hello Janelle, I find myself in a similar position. I'm also a junior at the University of Texas and I'm in the second semester in the education program. It is very hard to gain classroom experience during these online schooling times. I've had very little in class experience with schools and I also feel nervous because of my lack of overall experience. The subject of science is very fun and engaging for the students in the classroom. With the correct mindset and structure we can learn to overcome the hard times and achieve the best outcome for our future students. 

Stefany Perez Stefany Perez 385 Points

Hello Janelle, i'm a senior in the university of Texas Rio Grande Valley. I am in the bilingual education program for elementary. I completely understand where you are coming from. I worked as a substitue for a short amount of time, which was only 3 to 4 months. In those 3 to 4 months, i only got to experience high school and middle school. I have been thinking about going back to substitute, but with school online and my part time job is just very hard at the moment and i wouldnt be able to handle everything at once. I feel that if the virus was not around, everything would be so different and it would be easier to be able to gain experience. It could be such as working in a daycare or doing volunteer work. They limit so many things due to COVID, and in my perspective that is when i start getting scared and worried that i have not gained any experience since 2019.

Alexandra Tovar Alexandra Tovar 500 Points

Hello Janelle, I worked for a substitute for about 1-year and a half before the pandemic hit, but had to find a different job because of personal reasons. Now that I have the time and nothing gets in my way of working again, I too would like to gain more experience in the education field. It is obvious that alot has changed, being that schools are now virtual rather than on campus, but despite these changes, I am positive there are still opportunities out there for me, you and others to gain that experience. I might give substituting another try, you should too. I learned alot from it; I recommend it. 

P.S, I would also love to hear others' experiences so I will be following this post. :) 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers