Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Integrating Technology in the classroom.

Elementary Science

Integrating Technology in the classroom.

Author Post

Hello everyone, I'm currently a student at Dominican Universiry majoring in Elementary Education. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or activities as to how I can effectivly integrate technology into my science lessons. I would really love to hear about anything you have done! Thank you!

Brittany Lingenfelter Brittany Lingenfelter 1293 Points

Hello! 

National Geographic Kids has many educational opportunities for kids to explore different science phenomenas, and the opportunity to explore the past, present, and future! This platform provides free resources such as lesson plans, activities, worksheets, vocabulary, fun facts, etc, that align with state standards for science. For kids exploration, this website offers for students to explore science, history, space, animals, U.S. states, Weird But True, and more. This enhances students' understanding of the world and how everything in the world interconnects. Students will enrich themselves in the enterprise aspect of the Nature of science by understanding why things occur and then exploring solutions through activities through hands-on learning led by the teacher. These practices can be done once every week or every other week depending on how the teacher would like to set up this practice in their classroom!

-Brittany Lingenfelter

Preservice teacher

Wartburg College '24

Elizabeth McDonald Elizabeth McDonald 80 Points

The main thing I keep in mind when involving technology in my lessons is that the tech is in service of the science learning goals I have for my students. I don't use technology for its own sake - it's a tool, and a fast-changing one, so it's not worth spending time to teach kids to use specific apps or programs unless they will immediately help them understand science concepts better. 

That said, I use tech often! Here are some ways I use technology in my K-4 science classroom:

• Displaying a big digital version of a paper worksheet to model using it (e.g. a data table) - Notability is a good iPad app for this
  • Sharing YouTube clips of scientists in the field
  • Students using their iPads to photograph something they're observing, like a snail, and then annotate their photograph to label parts
  • Sorting activities on SeeSaw (often used as a warm-up to a discussion - things like living vs. non-living, different categories of adaptations, inventions vs. discoveries)
  • Fourth graders using the internet to research (e.g. I do a project where each student researches a different tide pool animal) - they then make posters and can choose to handwrite or type up their research in Google Docs
  • Administering reflection surveys/self-assessments after a major project using Google Forms
  • Exploring the local flora and fauna using iNaturalist
  • Using BrainPop's circuit builder tool to see the flow of current around a circuit (after students have explored for several classes with actual bulbs and batteries)
  • I'll sometimes capture student brainstorms during a discussion digitally, letting me project it later (works better for me than chart paper because I have limited wall space

Hello Elizabeth!

Thank you so much for taking some time to reply to my post. Your response was very helpfull to understand how I can technology in a future science class. 

Stephanie Davis Stephanie Davis 4398 Points

The students love using Phet simulations in my 4th grade class. We have manipulated atoms and molecules for states of matter, worked with the water cycle, and solar system explorations. There are also some simulations on GPB/PBS such as the moon phases. We used models of the moon and Earth made from our 3-D printer and a lamp to explore the moon phases. We use Ozobots to code various things we have learned such as the Earth's orbit. We use PebbleGo Next to research science topics. 

Anahy Aviles Anahy Aviles 135 Points

Hi,  

I am a current college student at the University of Houston Downtown. I will be graduating in May 2024 in EC-6 grade bilingual education. You have provided us with greater information on this wonderful resource. I have just recently got the membership and still learning how to navigate through it. I wonder if there are any resources for bilingual students to use at school or at home. This would really benefit my students while doing student teaching and my future students when I have my own classroom. 

Sara Castro Sara Castro 145 Points

Hello, I am also a student at the University of Houston-Downtown and am majoring in EC-6 with Bilingual Supplemental. You've all shared amazing resources, including National Geographic Kids, the use of technology, and even Phet simulations. I've never heard of Phet simulations, although I'd like to get more information about them and if they're something that can be used across all grade levels.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers