Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Physics Roller Coaster Building

Physical Science

Physics Roller Coaster Building

Author Post
Euvelyn Calma Euvelyn Calma 495 Points

I viewed the Energy Sci guide which led me to resources about energy conservation. In my unit, I would like students to build a roller coaster as well. The teacher resource link did not work but another site work for students. In this site, students can read about the energy transformation occurring on a roller coaster and students may build their own as well. I liked the idea that students get to build their own roller coaster, based on the options given, and at the end, they'll be rated on their roller coaster's overall fun and safety. I was disappointed that there wasn't an animation that could show their rc moving through their track but I think that there are other online sites or apps that would allow this somehow. I would like to incorporate some sort of roller coaster building for my 9th grade students. My issue is getting them to stay on task during class time and to also provide and care for their materials.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

You might try this website http://kids.discovery.com/games/build-play/build-a-coaster It has different type parts of roller coaster tracks to put together and then see the roller coaster goes on the track.

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Euvelyn, There is an archived discussion on roller coasters in this forum. You may wish to look at it. Here is the url for it: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=Z/zEw5SeJQI_E Folks share some neat ideas in those threads. ~patty

Rena Paopao Rena Paopao 430 Points

We used pipe insultation in our classroom to develop roller coasters as part of a Rube Goldberg invention. Students are studying energy transformation and many students are testing how to create a loop with their rollar coasters and have a marble flow through it without falling out. Through inquiry, many students are discovering that increasing the potential energy through increasing height makes it possible for the marble to make it through the loop successfully.

Melissa Montoya Melissa Montoya 265 Points

Pool noodles work very well with roller coasters because of flexibility and being light-weight. For me, safety is huge, so it works well with the students. They were easily able to mount different loops and change. In my science projects, I always try to get students to manipulate some part of their project or experiment, so it was fun to see the creative manipulations--for the sake of trying something new.

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Rena, this is a great idea. I wonder if you could extend it to a class project with 4-5 different groups. Provide slit flexible plastic pipes in 3-4 meter segments and challenge each group of students to make coasters that start at some point high on the wall, each coaster having to start at the same height. Work out a rubric for the complexity of the coaster, turns and loops etc., and then allow most of a class period to build and then test the coaster. Time the runs and maybe even put a photogate at the end of the run to measure the final speed of the marble or heavy steel ball. Provide duct tape and several sheets of construction paper if the students need to tape things together and build pilings to support any segment of the coaster. Students could take pictures of their coaster, be sure to have a meter sick somewhere for scale, and then write up measurements, calculate potential and kinetic energies, and discuss the science of the coaster. An extra challenge is having the students draw this large coaster to scale on graph paper. Phun, Phun, Phun! Thanks so much for sharing. patty

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Euvelyn, Have you tried these two websites? Funderstanding Roller Coaster and [url=http://www.learner.org/interactives/parkphysics/]Amusement Park Physics: What are the forces behind the fun?[/url] I found them in the book chapter by the Picture Perfect Ladies: Roller Coasters! Even though their lesson is designed for the younger students, they model using the foam pipe insulation as roller coasters. The activities shared are easily adapted to upper grades. Carolyn

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

I am always on the lookout for new roller coaster building sites, and a few new ones have emerged. I had my middle school students try these out, and they enjoyed them. http://disney.go.com/disneychannel/games/coolest-coaster-1994041 Build a roller coaster with Phineas and Ferb. http://dep.disney.go.com/sodi_promo/ This one is not free, but is affordable at $30.00. A big bonus for me with this one is the fact it can be used on an interactive whiteboard quite easily. There are video resources to help explain key concepts. Up to 100 students can build a roller coaster either as individuals or as a team, then share the results with classmates.

Cathy Neuman Cathy Neuman 790 Points

Hi- I think using roller coasters to teach about science concepts is a great idea. Most children love to ride the rides at the amusement park and helping children understand how they work can be very exciting. Children love to make connections between their learning and the world around them. I have found some great books that could go along with a unit on roller coasters. Please see the following information… Roller Coaster Science: 50 Wet, Wacky, Wild, Dizzy Experiments about Things Kids Like Best By Jim Wiese Amusement Park Science By Daniel A. Greenberg Enjoy! ~Cathy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers