Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Chemical Reaction

New Teachers

Chemical Reaction

Author Post
Sonja Caldwell Sonja Caldwell 740 Points

Hi, I am a new teacher with a lack of science resources. As a result, I am in the process of storing helpful resource materials. At the moment, I am in the process of teaching chemical reactions with my 9th graders. I was hope someone would have a challenging, but engaging lab and lab report on file for chemical reaction, which they could share with me. Is so it would be greatly appreciated. sonja

Tina Alcain Tina Alcain 3305 Points

Sonja may be a new teacher but she is never without something fun and exciting for her 9th graders to do in Physical Science class. She always has a cool demo to share and an easy, fun activity for whatever topic she is covering. Any resources you share with her will be put to good use! And then she will share them with me to use with my one Physical Science class.

Tina Alcain Tina Alcain 3305 Points

Sonja may be a new teacher but she is never without something fun and exciting for her 9th graders to do in Physical Science class. She always has a cool demo to share and an easy, fun activity for whatever topic she is covering. Any resources you share with her will be put to good use! And then she will share them with me to use with my one Physical Science class.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Sonja and Tina. You might find some useful resources in this discussion thread: Chemistry > Need Help Creating Activities for Stoichiometry
Carolyn

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Sonja, Here is a fun computer simulation on balancing chemical reactions. http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/balancing-chemical-equations and an interesting one (build a sandwich) on reactants, products, and left overs http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/reactants-products-and-leftovers Search the site and look at some of the teacher pdf's - you may find something of use for your classroom :} ~patty

Thanks everyone I got some really cool demos and labs for stoichiometry, which I plan to uses in the near future. Tina... After I give them a try I will give you a copy of the labs, which worked the best. Take care

Thanks everyone I got some really cool demos and labs for stoichiometry, which I plan to uses in the near future. Tina... After I give them a try I will give you a copy of the labs, which worked the best. Take care

Sharon Kearney Sharon Kearney 110 Points

Creating "gas heads" with latex gloves, baking soda and vinegar is a good visual for a lesson with concepts of edothermic and exothermic reactions. Students with latex allergies can act as observer/notetakers. It works best when the baking soda is spooned into the thumb space and closed off with a twist tie before adding 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar to each of the finger spaces. Tie the wrist opening in a knot. Remove the twist tie from the thumb space. Hold the knot tightly in one hand, and shake vigorously. Watches with second hands are helpful for recording time of expansion, deflation. A rating scale allows measurement for tactile temperature: cool, cold, neutral, warm, hot. Small facial features drawn on the gloves in the beginning can be measured for size pre and post expansion.

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

Here is a good type of reactions lab.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers