Forums

Forums / STEM / Egg Drop Activity

STEM

Egg Drop Activity

Author Post
Yusuli Hernandez Yusuli Hernandez 705 Points

How would you introduce topics such as physics at an elementary level. 

Jack Bevans Jack Bevans 660 Points

Hi there! Implementing physics concepts into lessons allows for so many fun possibilities. You will most likely want to have a primary focus on Newtons Laws of Motion (at least with beginners), but as your students begin to learn more and more properties of physics you can branch out into terms such as kinetic and potential energy, gravity, work, force, motion, etc. With that being said, physics lessons are some of the ones that I remember best from my time in school, because they have the potential to be great hands-on experiences for the students. One of my favorites included using pool noodles (cut in half to make a half-pipe) and duct tape to create slides that marbles could be rolled down, almost like a rollercoaster. Another incredibly memorable lesson was the classic egg drop. In my classroom, each student was given a specific budget, and each item that could be implemented into a design to safely drop the egg was given a price. The goal was to create a successful model in the most cost effective way. Finally, the third physics lesson that I can clearly recall was building various paper aircrafts (a paper airplane, a paper helicopter, and a paper glider), and allowing students to experiment with how altering their designs affected the flight of their crafts. With each of these lessons, students would be able to work in pairs or groups if they needed additional help. It would also be beneficial to host group discussions after each lesson to allow students to share their thoughts, learnings, and observations. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Emma Nelson Emma Nelson 615 Points

Hello Yusuli, 

I am a pre-service teacher, but if I were to introduce a physics unit to elementary students, I would start with the basics, talk about force and motion, and do a mini lab with marbles. You could explore Newton's Law with the marbles so that students can physically see the laws in action. Hands-on learning for young students is the best way to understand what they are truly learning. You could also provide a worksheet for students to reflect on, or you could do a group discussion. This way, they can take time to understand what they learned with guidance from the teacher (you). Hopefully, this helped! Good luck!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers