Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Recommended Technology?

General Science and Teaching

Recommended Technology?

Author Post
Hannah Lee Hannah Lee 1525 Points

When giving presentations in class, a new interesting way to engage students, aside from YouTube clips and Microsoft Powerpoint, was through a tool named Prezi. I was really excited to use Prezi in the classroom. However, I recently read an article that students are more susceptible to trigger epileptic fits. What are some other technical tools to use in the classroom that do not have these types of risks? http://commercialmedia.com.au/2012/04/11/how-to-use-prezi-without-making-people-nauseous/

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Hannah, I would hate for you not to use Prezi's. My 6th graders love making them.I have never had a problem triggering a seizure, but that does not diminish the possibility (however small). I would check with my nurse and see if any of my students were known to have seizures and proceed from there. Teaching my 6th graders how to present with Prezi's has given them more "tools" to assist them in their education and (future jobs). One of the students taught their parent how to do them and they used it in their business. My student was elated!

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Here is an easy program to create screen casts for your class [url=http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/] Screen cast omatic[/url] 7 Things You Should Know About Screencast-o-matic 1. What is it? Screencast-o-matic is a Java-based web application used to create screencasts on Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Specific benefits of using Screencast-o-matic over other free screen recorders are the highlighted cursor and click indicators, ease of use, the ability to add captions easily, the ability for creators to add notes and for viewers to add comments, and the fact that there is no application to download. 2. How does it work? Go to http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/ and simply click the Start Recording button. Drag the recording frame and adjust its size to the appropriate recording area, and begin recording. Perform the actions you want others to see on your computer screen and narrate into a microphone as you work (or include system audio from the computer). If you have a built-in camera, you can include video of yourself or something else in a “picture-in-picture” manner. You also have the ability to add a text file for captioning and share your video with your audience. Videos can be saved in MP4, AVI, or FLV formats and then uploaded to Screencast-o-matic’s web space or YouTube. 3. Who is doing it? Educators are using screencasts to record lectures, provide demonstrations, present orientations to an online class, tell digital stories, and give feedback on student assignments, among other things. They are also creating assignments that require students to produce a screencast. Of the various screencasting applications, Screencast-o-matic is especially appealing for educational purposes because it is very easy to use and provides an easy way to include captions. People involved in tech support find screencasting a very efficient way to show users how to solve a problem. 4. Why is it significant? Screencasts are very useful for demonstrating software use and other computer functions, presentation of lectures or short lessons, or providing rich feedback on students’ work. Screencast-o-matic videos can be created and viewed anytime and anywhere a user has an Internet connection and a browser. Students can view them at times that are convenient for them, so they work well in online and hybrid courses. They can be viewed and reviewed for reference by students, so they work well for presenting lessons or instructive demonstrations to any student. In general, screencasts create a more engaging environment for a student who is working online, giving a lecture or demonstration a more personal, face-to-face feel. 5. What are the downsides? Screencast-o-matic videos cannot be edited directly in the application where they were created unless you purchase a Pro account, which costs $12/year. (The videos can be edited in a video-editing program if they are saved to your computer.) Screencast-o-matic is Java based, so users may have trouble creating or viewing videos if Java is not installed and updated on their computers. 6. Where is it going? One significant complaint among educators about screencasts is that they are not interactive unless one uses expensive software such as Camtasia to insert quizzes and other interactive features. Interactivity may be the next step for free screen recording tools in general. 7. What are the implications for teaching and learning? Anyone who has ever found value in a screenshot (a still image demonstrating the location and function of something on a computer) can imagine how useful a screen recording might be to teaching and learning. Content in a screencast has the potential to be richer, more engaging, and more accessible to all users than a face-to-face lecture or a simple text document or image. Because of its ease of use, Screencast-o-matic requires little or no training for instructors to get started. Screencasting should be one of the tools in every instructor’s technology toolbox, and Screencast-o-matic is a good screen recorder to begin with.

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Great question Hannah. One of my favorite units in my Design and Engineering class is to have the students do a web search for Web 2.0 tools. They are asked to find a Web 2.0 tool that they would find useful as a student or one that they wished their teachers would use to help them learn. There are tons of tools out there, and it thoroughly amazed me the variety of tools the students found. Prezi of course was on their list. I think they liked the circular motion to it. After a day of watching several presentations though, I found myself getting tired of watching in go round and round. Some of the more unique finds were: Bubble.us; Blabberize, Gliffy, Popple, Collaborize, YouTube Time Machine and Celestia. What made the assignment even better was the students had to create a poster about their Web 2.0 tool including the URL, screen captures and examples of how it could be used to engage or enhance student learning. I told them to make sure they shared their “finds” with their teachers. The teachers were so appreciative and excited, they t decided their information was so valuable that they should make a notebook of these ideas and put them in the library for all to see and use. They had to cross index them in a way that they could easily be used. Taking it yet a step further, they offered teachers the opportunity to attend “workshops” on the tools in my room utilizing my technology. They calendared dates and asked teachers to RSVP their presentations. The outcomes were amazing. There are so many wonderful tools out there now. I look forward to seeing what others have to add.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers