Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Sensory/ Science Activities

Early Childhood

Sensory/ Science Activities

Author Post
Sarah Hojnicki Sarah Hojnicki 820 Points

Hello! My name is Sarah. I work in a daycare with children 1-4 years old. I was wondering what some good and fun science sensory tables and activities that these age groups would be. We have bottle that are filled with various items from the ocean, like shells and sand. I am looking for more things like that, as well as activities that these children can do, especially the 3-4 year old range. Thank you! Sarah

Linda Ngo Linda Ngo 2775 Points

I believe that for 4 yrs old, you can have them to watch Dora the Explorer that has the episode that relates to the science. You can play a science game outdoor, like scavenger hunt to see if they can search for seashell, rock, and do forth.

Anila Khan Anila Khan 1490 Points

Last semester when I was observing a preschool class the teacher did a color activity with her four year old students. She first read them a book called "Mouse Paint" by Ellen Stoll Walsh. Then, with the help of her students she mixed various colors in test tubes so they could see how mixing colors make new colors. The students were extremely excited when they were watching the new color form. Maybe you could try this with your students using food coloring or paint. Once you demonstrate mixing colors you could have your students wear smocks and finger paint.

Sarah Lenderman Sarah Lenderman 780 Points

I want to teach PPCD and I am always looking for new sensory objects to engage my students. One thing that I have seen is to have a laminated note card with a paint dot of the color that you want to use. You can then write a number on the paint dot and the students can drop however many dots into clear water. May be a little far fetched for them but definitely interesting. For higher level students you can add two paint dots to the card and have them add two colors to the water so they can make cool colors like purple. Also a good way to introduce the color wheel.

Lucila Martinez Lucila Martinez 1165 Points

Hi Sarah! I used to work in an early childcare center myself not too long ago and sensory tables were a big deal. If you already have sand and ocean items such as shells a fun idea would probably be finding these within the sensory table. This would be almost like uncovering fossils. I would suggest giving brushes to the older ones (3-4 years old) and let them use that to uncover the sand above the shells. For the younger ones maybe use oatmeal or something eatable, of course keeping allergies in mind, because they are more likely than the 3-4 year old to place their hands in their mouths and you wouldn't want any of them eating sand. I hope this is of some help! Good luck! Sensory tables were always fun with my kids!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers