Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Integrating Science

General Science and Teaching

Integrating Science

Author Post
Henry Campos Henry Campos 695 Points

In the classroom, many teachers are mostly focused on math and reading, due to STAR testing. I feel that all of the subjects are important in their own way. I wanted to ask for tips/strategies on how we can incorporate science with all of the subjects. I have seen some teachers combine math and reading, but we nearly see the incorporation of science with math, reading, or social studies. Thank you so much for your help.  Have a great day.   

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Henry, that's a great question! Why can't we use trade books that give us some type of phenomenon that students have to solve? I honestly don't see how we can separate math from science. When we study pollution or the effects of humans on environments, such as the BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico, we must include a lesson on geography. Namely, identify the states that border the Gulf of Mexico, as well as the states that have rivers that empty into the Mississippi River and which states are included in the Mississippi River Watershed. How many miles away can pollutants enter the Mississippi River and travel until it reaches the Gulf? Can't we research sites like the EPA to find out which states dump the most pollution into the river? How long does it take some of the waste to break down? How much land do we lose along the coast due to erosion? If some of the solid pollution washes up on the banks of the river, where did the waste originate? There is so much more that we can integrate between all of the core subjects. The list is endless. NSTA has some great resources, articles, and books that use the 3 Dimensional learning and help the teacher to find exactly what they need in order to integrate all subject areas. I use the Picture Perfect Science Lessons and trade books to create lessons and experiments, engineering design, and problem solving.

Hina Anwar Hina Anwar 345 Points

Hi Henry, I wish we could incorporate more science into our classroom and in our lessons! It is a bummer that a lot of focus is around staar. I am in a ELA and reading classroom and we incorporate science through nonfiction units. Also, we incorporate science in some of our reading passages. The kids love Storywork JR in my class, and Storywork JR has many scientific articles.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers