Forums

Elementary Science

Magnets

Author Post
Harlie Mudie Harlie Mudie 375 Points

My lesson is going to be about magnetic objects. The students will get the chance to explore in a tub of sand and with their magnets to see what is and what is not magnetic. There will be different objects in the sand tub (metal spoon, paper clip, nails, foil, popsicle stick, etc.) and the students are to explore with their magnets and identify what objects are and what are not magnets. Then the students will explore around the classroom to see what every day use objects are and are not magetic. We will have a class discussion over magnetic things and any questions they may have. I am hoping my students learn how magnets are used in every day life and how things can maybe look magnetic (silver, metal, hard) but are actually not. 

Pamuela Galletti Pamuela Galletti 1765 Points

Harlie, what grade level is this lesson being taught to?  I ask because I have some additional ideas for you if you are interested. I love the sand box idea for sure.  

Harlie Mudie Harlie Mudie 375 Points

Hello Pamuela! I am teaching this lesson to 2nd grade! I would love to hear your ideas!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers