Forums

Elementary Science

CERR

Author Post
Gisselle Llamazares Gisselle Llamazares 845 Points

CERR is a scientific framework that help students combining scientific investigations, analyze stat and observations collected, and focuses on scientific concepts. CERR stands for Claim, Evidence, Reasoning, and Rebuttal. Usually, elementary students do not take part in the rebuttle part because it is a complex topic to cover. For claim, students are posing a question or creating a statement about something they have noticed to be common and are trying to find the reason or answers to it. Evidence comes from gathering data and observations during experiments. Evidence could be quantitative or qualitative. Then come reasoning. It is the why does the data show as valid to the evidence. This the taugh part for students at a younger age to explain. Lastly, comes rebuttal, that is when the students explain why another claim would not be appropriate to the experiment. Students need to use evidence and reasoning for this portion. Sentence stems and word walls are helpful for students to create a successful CERR framework. 

' I claim ___ ( what students know/ answer to the question) ___ because ___ (evidence/data) ____. I know I am right because _____ (scientific concepts, rule or principle)_____.'

Amber Patton Amber Patton 1580 Points

I like the use of a sentence starter to scaffold student thinking and responses. However, I teach at the elementary level and we explain to students that a claim is the direct answer to a question. It should be written as a statement without the use of 'I think' or 'I believe' and should not use the word 'because'. The 'because' is the evidence and reasonging piece. I 100% agree that reasoning is by far the most difficult part for my learners to grasp. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers