Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Pre-service Teacher Advise

New Teachers

Pre-service Teacher Advise

Author Post
Karelen Takara Karelen Takara 1125 Points

I love to integrate content areas but sometimes I feel like I am trying to do too much. For all the experienced teachers out there, is there any advice on the most effienent way to integrate science into other content areas? 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I work with the math teacher in my building and ask what she is working on or has recently worked on that might tie into what we are working on in science. I always ask students, 'What else does this make you think of or remind you of?' In 8th grade we are working on where to store nuclear waste which includes considering natural hazards. Students easily connect to social studies during this unit and have no choice but to rely on their math skills to record and interpret data collected. My students keep science notebooks/journals and draw, sketch what they are learning so there is a tie in to art there.

If/when there are times that it feels like you are trying to do too much, remember that teaching science is enough and many times, it is more than students have gotten in prior years. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers