Forums

Forums / STEM / How has technology changed your teaching?

STEM

How has technology changed your teaching?

Author Post
Steve Werner Steve Werner 1055 Points

Our seventh grade team now has two computer carts (50 total computers). Our science curriculum transition this year involves sending lessons in email format to students. The purpose is to have students prepare for class but give a short extended response on what they learned independently reviewing the email content. Attached is a sample learning cycle as I slowly embed the JASON project into our studies. I have received positive feedback from our students on JASON's curricula. This email format in our classroom is like a derivative of the flipped classroom but modeled by NSTA's listserve method of communication for knowledge. Attached below is a learning cycle as an example of how we are attempting to integrate JASON and a classroom activitie students have enjoyed in the past. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

JASON_Project.doc (3.85 Mb)

Steve Werner Steve Werner 1055 Points

Apparently I uploaded the document improperly. I will try another formatt.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Here is a small collection of resources about classroom technology

Technology Resources for the Classroom Collection (9 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Unfortunately, for both teachers and students, the 'have and have not' gap is going to continue to be a problem, as is trying to keep up with the technological advances. An iPad 3? Really? I still don't have an iPad 1 OR a smart phone. . . I can't be the only instructor unable to acquire the newest, fastest technology available! I do know that with my MacBook Pro (first edition and at least 3 years old now), I no longer have paper trails. Gone are the days of physically collecting homework. Assignments are submitted digitally & graded electronically. I gave away one of my 4-drawer filing cabinets - everything needed for teaching can be accessed online thanks to the NLC "My Library"! Technology has simplified my life organizationally. I'm trying to find a home for my 3 other file cabinets. Any ideas on how to reuse? Can't seem to find anyone needing one... I am wondering what one piece of new technology others have recently acquired that I should invest in. What is it that you use the most and can't teach without?

Jared Kilmer Jared Kilmer 970 Points

Carolyn, You're not alone as far as not having the newest and best technology. I too do not have a smart phone simply because I don't want to pay the additional fees every month for services that I don't use, but that too is going by the way side. There are very few phones offered any more that do not have internet and email as a basic feature. I started my education later on in life and during my first class my instructor was explaining about how we would be using blackboard throughout the semester. I had no idea what he was talking about. Speaking as a future, self admittedly, out of date teacher, technology in the classroom should be a required course. It would be of great benefit, and in the future, a necessity. Jared

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

It's nice to not be the only one, Jason. Thanks for sharing. Getting back to Steve's original question: "Attached is a sample learning cycle as I slowly embed the JASON project into our studies. I have received positive feedback from our students on JASON's curricula. This email format in our classroom is like a derivative of the flipped classroom but modeled by NSTA's listserve method of communication for knowledge. Attached below is a learning cycle as an example of how we are attempting to integrate JASON and a classroom activitie students have enjoyed in the past. Any feedback would be appreciated." Steve, I really like what you did in the document that you originally downloaded. Please DO try to download the document you wanted us to see. I am not sure I see a learning cycle from the document you provided. From what you have already shared, I can see why your students are giving you positive feedback. Thanks, Carolyn

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers