Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / 5E Lesson Plan: Parts of a Plant

Elementary Science

5E Lesson Plan: Parts of a Plant

Author Post
Dahlia Chandrahasan Dahlia Chandrahasan 830 Points

Hello! I created a first grade 5E lesson plan for my Science in the Elementary School class over the parts of a plant. For my engage and explore portions I am having students look at small plants that I put on their table groups. I think this is an okay activity, but I would like suggestions for something more fun and interesting. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to improve the engage and explore parts of my lesson? 

Thank you! 

Judith Boyle Judith Boyle 965 Points

An interesting and fun activity for your students would be to watch a seed germinate and grow. As this is occurring you could discuss the different parts of a plant as the seed grows. Begin with a seed wrapped in a moist paper towel in a plastic bag. As the stem and roots develop your students could record their observations in a science notebook. Once the seeds have germinated, allow the students to plant them in clear jars so they can watch as the roots grow and are seen through the jar. They will also be able to watch the plant grow and flower. This will bring the opportunity for the students to learn the parts of a flower, to pollinate them, and to watch them produce seeds. Then as an extension, the students could plant their new seeds to see if they grow. And, you have the plant cycle!

Morgan Fletcher Morgan Fletcher 530 Points

Hi Dahlia, I think your activity is great and I know that first graders would love to engage in an activity involving real plants. In addition to your activity, maybe you could have your students apply what they learn from this activity and create their own plant model with construction paper. To make the activity more exciting, you could have students name their plant and give it a personality. Then, the students could use speech bubbles to pretend like the plant is explaining the various plant parts. I hope this helps, best of luck with your lesson!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers