Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Freezing Water in 2nd grade

Elementary Science

Freezing Water in 2nd grade

Author Post
Daniel Cochrane Jr. Daniel Cochrane Jr. 1280 Points

Hi, My name is Dan. I am a teacher candidate for elementary and special education. I need to teach 3 lessons to a second grade class. My standard is: Observe, describe, and measure ways in which the properties of a sample of water (including volume) change or stay the same as the water is heated and cooled and then transformed into different states. I created two lessons already. In my first lesson I had the students observe and find properties of water, by touching and feeling the water. My second lesson I had the students see ice melting back to water, by applying different levels of heat. I'm having trouble with my final lesson idea. I want to the students to see water in the freezing process. I do have a time limit of about 35 minutes however. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can still teach an effective lesson on water freezing, in such a short amount of time? Thanks, Dan

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

That seems like a really difficult task to accomplish since you have a time limit. My only suggestion would be to break it up throughout the day if possible. Such as show them how it is liquid in the morning, then stick it in the freezer and take it out periodically to show them the progress. Then you could teach the remainder of the lesson at the end of the day.

Daniel Cochrane Jr. Daniel Cochrane Jr. 1280 Points

Thank you. I think that is what I will have to do. Hopefully I can plan that out with my host teacher. Dan

Kristi Brockschmidt Kristi Brockschmidt 2440 Points

Sounds like a good plan! This would also be a great lesson if it was winter outside. It would be fun to see water freeze on the playground in a variety of their favorite places.

Rebecca Chun rebecca chun 940 Points

I am actually developing a lesson about water melting, freezing, and evaporating. In my state, the state objective is targeted for first grade and I broke up the lessons into 2-3 days. The way Im going to do it is start with water melting and freezing for 1-2 day and evaporation the next day. The way I have my students observe water freezing is I will have the water they melted and turn it back to ice by putting it in the fridge overnight. I don't know if there are any other ways than that.

Jegego Itigadom Jegego 100 Points

I'm designing a first-grade science lesson on water's changing states: melting, freezing, and evaporation. It's spread over 2-3 days. We'll explore melting and freezing first, then dive into evaporation on the last day. To show freezing in action, we'll melt some water and freeze it overnight in the fridge.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers