Forums

Forums / Life Science / Modern Biotechnology

Life Science

Modern Biotechnology

Author Post
Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Adah says, [b]"Things in the biotechnology field are happening so fast and almost every day. Just yesterday there was a news item about a blood test that can test for one in a billion cancer cells in the blood. How are you incorporating this explosion of new biotechnology information everyday into your classes? What level are you teaching and what do you do to keep the students up to date?"[/b] So I went to our Learning Center and typed in biotechnology. I was surprised to see that there were only 12 resources on this topic and the most recent one was dated Feb. 2010 (a webinar that can be retrieved). Obviously this is an important topic. Could it be that advances are happening too quickly to even keep up? I, too, would like to hear how teachers are addressing this topic in their classrooms. AND I would like to add one more question to Adah's: What resources do you use to stay informed of the newest, latest biotechnology? Be Well, Carolyn

Dorothy Ginnett Dorothy Ginnett 28240 Points

Great topic!

Carolyn, I'm thinking you may simply need to try other keywords in the Learning Center search to get better search results on this topic (DNA -122 results; DNA technology - 24 results, molecular biology - 22 results).

As a wildilfe ecologist by training, I like to incorporate a Wildlife CSI (Forensics) approach when teaching biotechnology. There are some great applications of biotechnology to solving crimes against endangered wildlife species. This ties in biotechnology with biodiversity conservation.

I recently purchased a copy of the NSTA press book Using Forensics: Wildlife Crime Scene!http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9780873552707

I'm eager to review it and possibly implement it in the classroom.

There is currently a free chapter from this book on 'Hair Identification' available to review at http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9780873552707.L5

Dorothy Ginnett

Dorian Janney Dorian Janney 10505 Points

I think this is a very important topic and certainly is one that will offer many of our present students career options. Last night I was out with two of my former high school students who are now in their third year of college. One of the students is pursuing a degree in biotechnology engineering- and she plans to get a doctorate in it as well. She was explaining the types of careers one might find as a biotechnology engineer- and how exciting her classes are. It was fabulous to hear about her excitement with her schooling and future career goals!

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Carolyn wrote, 'What resources do you use to stay informed of the newest, latest biotechnology?'

Biotech industries are trying to reach out to schools through their BioGENEius Project. It is a relatively new program and so parts of it are still being developed. You can find out more about it at Biotechnology institute

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

The Indianapolis Children's Museum has created a resource page for biotechnology http://www.childrensmuseum.org/themuseum/biotech/index.htm Unfortunately there are no live links to laboratory activities The Council on Biotechnology has created an activity book which can be downloaded for free http://www.whybiotech.com/resources/activity-book.asp albeit a bit short on hands on activities The Biotechnology Institute's mission is to engage, excite, and educate as many people as possible, particularly young people, about biotechnology and its immense potential to heal the sick, feed the hungry, restore the environment, and fuel the economy. http://www.biotechinstitute.org/ The Biopharmaceutical Technology center has compiled a nice list on on-line resources for teachers http://www.btci.org/k12/resources/teacherresources.html The Council for Biotech Information can be found here http://whybiotech.com/ A biotechnology public education program providing teaching tips for teachers, archived Iowa Biotech Educator newsletters and the Biotechnology Information Series -- a set of publications being developed by ISU Extension and the Office of Biotechnology providing easy-to-read information about biotechnology products and techniques for the non-scientist http://www.biotech.iastate.edu/publications/ed_resources/biotech_curriculum.html

Yes, Biotech is very interesting. I went to an ibio institute workshop during the summer and it was very interesting. http://www.ibioinstitute.org/ I am also currently doing an biotech workshop at one of our Chicago Public school in which Baxter gave a large amount of money to use over the a 5 year period to train teachers in this field so we can inspire our students. It is great!!! I want to learn as much as I can about biotechnology.

Adah wrote, "I just checked into the PBS Teacherdomain website (free) and typed in biotechnology and there were 43 resources available that included video's, lesson plans and labs." Hi Adah, Would you please post the web link for PBS Teacherdomain? Thanks, Ruth

Hi Adah, Thank you so much for the link to teacher's domain. I've been searching on it this afternoon and found amazing resources for all the classes I teach.

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers Elizabeth Dalzell 9945 Points

Jackie - I looked at the project you had posted, I am so sad that it is only for teachers that live in IL. The program looks awesome, if anyone hears of other opportunities for teachers please keep us in mind. Thanks Liz

Apartment Patino Mario Patino 1295 Points

Great topic. Biotechnology has been around for thousands of years if you consider how such tools were used in the domestication of plants and animals. I know it is fairly easy to address the advances of such technology over the last thirty years yet biotechnology history is grounded in human history. That being said, when I teach my units in biotechnology, I address historical applications such as cross-breeding, selective breeding, hybridization, then go into how modern tools are being used to make the same genetic manipulation but with more accuracy. Taking a historical approach seems to create less controversy then if my focus was only focused on modern methods. Here in Hawaii, the topic can be sensitive because the amount of biotech research that has taken place without educating the community on its impact, benefits, etc. Science literacy is key in discussing such topics, yet can be achieved if your approach comes from a historical angle.

Robert Ryshke Robert Ryshke 355 Points

Colleagues:

Check out these videos from Edutopia for some ideas on application of biotechnology in the laboratory.

HS biology class applies biotechnology to real problems

Also, check out this collaborative project with art and science. Blood project.

Blood Project

I think these are good examples of ways of taking the teaching and learning of science, particularly molecular biology, to new levels.

Hope you enjoy!

Bob Ryshke
Center for Teaching

Steve Werner Steve Werner 1055 Points

Hello everybody, The discussion on genomics from Harvard was interesting. I related to their emphasis in new research publications involving a computational person, wet lab biologists, and physician. These are all components expected in a 7th general science curriculum. The idea of teamwork as an alliance not a heirarchy. Jan,in the assessment forum. has some nice pfd's that allow's one to assess a school science curriculum. Both the panel and the curriculum assessment align nicely. Happy Sunday Steve

One more resource, Science World October 29, 1997 Vol 4 (ISSN 1041-1410) Inspector Fly "How bugs help cops catch crooks". This was the genesis to our current study in forensic entomology. It is a timeless article. Steve

Emmanuel Addo Emmanuel Addo 2315 Points

Steve could you please give me some illustrations on genomics since I am new to this field and more into the physical sciences.

Kalee Alexandria Kalee Alexandria 655 Points

Another resource for recent news about science is http://www.newscientist.com/. You can register for free and get "limited" but adequate access. I find exceptional new science phots and news headlines on many topics. You can also purchase a reasonable online subscription and get a hard copy sent to your home/work. Same is true for Discovermagazine.com Kalee Alexandria 6th grade science (IB)

Hello Emmanuel, Sure. My interest in genetic engineering started with the story of the Flounder Tomato where an "antifreeze" gene from the artic flounder was spliced into a tomatoe plant. I think 1998. This increased the range a tomato plant could be harvested and brought up the concern if humans allergic to fish would be able to eat this tomato. Was found the gene had no effect.The use of bacteria to "infect" the root scars of corn plants and introduce a selected gene is a nice study as well.(bacterial study as well) In the midwest bioengineered corn is stored seperately from hybridized corn for the last I heard some European countries are still not buying genetically engineered corn. I still use content from Biotechnology Education Project sponsored by NSF and Monsanto from the Mathematics and Science Education Center, University of Missouri- St Louis (1991) and a timeless article from Science World Vol 55 No. 8 1/11/1999 "Would you eat this tomato?" as well as various new web sites. I teach 7th middle school science. http://www.amnh.org/ology/genetics# is a favorite and has included the flounder tomato story. A pleasure talking science Steve

Very interesting discussion on the the use of Biotechnology in the classroom. Having been part of the biotech industry I feel its vital for students to understand how modern tools are helping to solve today's problems. In an effort to stay current in biotechnology research, I solicit the help of scientist in the community to come in and speak to my students. These scientist also provide my students and I opportunities to work in their labs over the summer. Science education should not be isolated to what occurs in the classroom; science education is dependent on partnerships we make with experts in our community.

Mario wrote, 'In an effort to stay current in biotechnology research, I solicit the help of scientist in the community to come in and speak to my students. These scientist also provide my students and I opportunities to work in their labs over the summer. Science education should not be isolated to what occurs in the classroom; science education is dependent on partnerships we make with experts in our community.'

Mario,
Kudos to you for having those community partnerships. I think they are essential to have in all areas of science, but especially in the field of biotechnology. Without them, I think we can become outdated in what we are teaching quite quickly. On what types of projects have you and your students worked?

Ruth wrote 'On what types of projects have you and your students worked?'

Great question Ruth. This year the students worked on Five major investigations, 1. Growing ti plants in acidic soils 2. Reduction/Elimination of Rose Beetles in Banana Trees 3. Hybridization experiment between red and green ti plants, 4. Decomposition experiment of organic and inorganic matter using aerobic bacteria 5. Isolation of indigenous microorganism to enhance biomass.

All of the investigations we do in my class our long term investigations which take several months to complete. We don't do the 'cookbook' labs anymore or participate in science fair because most of these investigations are completed after the January deadline. Our investigations are supported by CTAHR and USDA-PBARC scientists. Their participation involves providing experimental guidance, resources, and participate in class presentations of data. It's been fun!

Ruth wrote 'On what types of projects have you and your students worked?'

Great question Ruth. This year the students worked on Five major investigations, 1. Growing ti plants in acidic soils 2. Reduction/Elimination of Rose Beetles in Banana Trees 3. Hybridization experiment between red and green ti plants, 4. Decomposition experiment of organic and inorganic matter using aerobic bacteria 5. Isolation of indigenous microorganism to enhance biomass.

All of the investigations we do in my class our long term investigations which take several months to complete. We don't do the 'cookbook' labs anymore or participate in science fair because most of these investigations are completed after the January deadline. Our investigations are supported by CTAHR and USDA-PBARC scientists. Their participation involves providing experimental guidance, resources, and participate in class presentations of data. It's been fun!

Karim Moghrabi Karim Moghrabi 610 Points

Greetings Ms. stock Biotechnology is the frontier in science and without it science would be primitive. I myself came into teaching after many years in biotechnology research. Articles of a new research can be included in a particular lesson plan depending on the concept being taught. There is nothing more the students would like than to know how science affects their every day life. Many Thanks MOGHRABI

Mario wrote, "[i]This year the students worked on Five major investigations..... All of the investigations we do in my class our long term investigations which take several months to complete. We don't do the "cookbook" labs anymore or participate in science fair because most of these investigations are completed after the January deadline. Our investigations are supported by CTAHR and USDA-PBARC scientists. Their participation involves providing experimental guidance, resources, and participate in class presentations of data. [/i]" Hi Mario, What your class is doing intrigues me. I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer. Are you teaching a separate biotechnology class or is this project incorporated into an advanced biology course? Do you have your students work in teams or are they working individually on these experiments? Do you need specialized equipment? If so, did your school have purchase it or was it donated as part of this program. Can you explain the role of the CTAHR and USDA-PBARC scientists in more detail? Sorry, I realize now that I have typed this that I have a lot of questions. I look forward to your response.

Aloha Ruth-great questions. "[b][i]Are you teaching a separate biotechnology class or is this project incorporated into an advanced biology course[/i][/b]?" Answer-No, this is my regular 11th grade biology class. We teach use the physics first sequence so by the time I get my students, they have a good foundation in physics and chemistry. I agree with you that the class can be considered advanced due to the depth I'm able to take the course but the class is a first biology class. We do not offer AP or honors courses in biology unfortunately. To make the course relevant I infuse my background in biotechnology and the culture of my students. It really helps in relation to sense making. [b][i]Do you have your students work in teams or are they working individually on these experiments?[/i][/b] Yes they do work on in teams of two, or three. Any papers or reports they write as a result of the investigation are individual. [b][i]Do you need specialized equipment?[/i][/b] Actually, no. Regular garden equipment and supplies allows us to do all of the investigations. When specialized test are needed we use our science community partners/resources. [b] [i]Can you explain the role of the CTAHR and USDA-PBARC scientists in more detail?[/i][/b] The best way I can describe the partnership with CTAHR and USDA-PARC is symbiotic. They come into the classroom as guest speakers, they mentor my students and I during summer internships, they provide literature resources for my lessons,if I need specialized equipment or training-they provide me options. I am in constant communication with them all year. For instance our taro plants show signs of DMV infection-I'm working with scientist to understand why some plants we grow are immune while others are not. They provide the same services as people in their community who need their assistance. The reason why the scientist participate is to give back and encourage more students to take on science careers. Its a win-win for all. If anyone is ever near Hawaii and would love to visit my classroom, I would love you to come or even to have some type of joint projects between schools?

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hello Adah and all the tread posters and readers, What a great topic. Thank you to everyone who shared your resources! What a great wealth of knowledge we are assembling here! Biotechnology is a very important topic to teach. Many of the topics in this field lend themselves to inquiry-based science and encourage our students to learn through problem solving and exploration. I frequently use the following websites when creating biotechnology lesson plans: Biotechnology Webquests [/url,[url=http://www.public.asu.edu/~langland/lesson-index.html]Incorporating Biotechnology into the Classroom, and Biotechnology Institute Lesson Plans. Each of these websites has lesson plans and activities that engage students as they learn about the field of Biotechnology. I was thrilled to see that Moghrabi uses his prior experience in the Biotechnology field to inspire his students. Your students are so lucky to have such a knowledgable teacher leading them through their explorations into Biotechnology. I try to pull experts from various fields into my classroom as we explore various topics. I've found that using subject area experts not only inspires my students, but also helps them see the relevancy of the topics we study to careers. Does anyone else pull in subject area experts? Maureen

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers