Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Starting A Lesson

Earth and Space Science

Starting A Lesson

Author Post
Brenda Gutierrez Brenda Gutierrez 130 Points

I am currently a student teacher, about to start my first round of observations. I will have a couple of days to observe a teacher giving a lesson but at the of my observations, I will do a lesson. What is the best way to start a lesson for science? There are so many terms and information that I have to teach to children. I'm unsure what the best option is when teaching science.

Brittany Lingenfelter Brittany Lingenfelter 1293 Points

Hello Brenda!

To my knowledge, a good classroom engagement strategy to open up a science lesson is to draw the attention of the students by asking open-ended real-world problems. Not only is this applicable to students, but it also gives them a sense of purpose and drives toward the subject at matter. This also allows students to challenge their curiosity and practice their critical thinking skills. Even if some students do not understand or have a depth of knowledge of the subject, opening the floor to whole class discussions is a great way to get students to make connections to the materials being taught. To pique the interest of the students, including hands-on activities in lessons is an easy way to help guide students to making connections when they work up close to the topic at hand.

- Brittany Lingenfelter

Wartburg College '24

Pre-service teacher

Caitlyn Parker Caitlyn Parker 830 Points

Hey Brenda, 

I am currently a teacher-candidate and beginning my student teaching in the spring semester. Through my education courses and experience in the field so far, I have learned a great skill in introducing a science lesson. Once you have a subject you plan on teaching, try to find an anchoring event, which refers to a significant occurrence that serves as a point of reference or a starting point for subsequent developments, discussions, or decisions. This can be something that has happened in the real world- perhaps the students have even heard of it before. Anchoring events can capture students' attention and stimulate their interest in the upcoming lesson. By presenting a real-world example, a phenomenon, or an intriguing question related to the topic of the lesson, students are more likely to be engaged and curious about the subject matter. It also may prevent students from saying things like 'Well why are we even doing this' or 'Why are we learning about this?' because you have already made the connection to real life scenarios. 

The test book in my teaching science curriculum courses does a great job with giving guidance on starting lessons and enacting them. It is called 'Ambitious Science Teaching' by Jessica Jane Thompson, Mark Windschitl, and Melissa L. Braaten. I really recommend it! 

Jeffrey Miller Jeffrey Miller 255 Points

Did you not have any college training in science education?

Nisha Khan Nisha Khan 10 Points

hello I'm newbie.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers