Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Engaging Students in learning about Space

Elementary Science

Engaging Students in learning about Space

Author Post
Kayla Bauman Kayla Bauman 190 Points

I'm a pre-service teacher about to teach my first science lesson. My 4th/5th grade class will be learning about Space. I keep hearing that Space can be a tricky topic to create fun and education activities with accurate information. I would love some ideas on how to keep my class' love of science alive while trying to create an interactive science experiment for them! 

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Dear Kayla, There are many web sites about space that can serve you and your students as sources of accurate information. One of them is the "Amazing Space" web site from the Hubble Space Telescope team in Baltimore, MD. The web site has online activities for students they can do at school and/or home as long as they have internet access. Take a look and let me know what you think. http://amazingspace.org Take care, Flavio.

Nicholas Morrow Nicholas Morrow 825 Points

Super cool website! Thank you for the resource!

Oceana Saylor Oceana Saylor 10 Points

I think we should teach students about space because it gives you interest in their studies. I am also teacher as well as I offer best essay website service. I think the Landing on the moon is good to start, Using the information picked up from the past Apollo missions, NASA chose the Apollo 11 group would strive for a moon arrival. Three days subsequent to dispatching from earth, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin flew the Lunar Module down to the moon's surface.

Skye Rodriguez Skye Rodriguez 2165 Points

HI! I remember when I was a student my favorite topic in science was space. I never was one to feel comfortable with science, but when learning about space I felt interested and intrigued. I as well as some of you, agree that teaching space can be fun and exciting but when you have accurate information. Thanks for the website Mr. Mendez, I think it will be a great tool as I soon will also be a pre-service teacher beginning my internship. These resources are valuable and I will be sure to keep it in mind for the future. 

Ariadna Valdes Ariadna Valdes 2490 Points

Hello!  Just like Skye, I remember that in science class my favorite topic to study was Space. My teacher made it very memorable when it came to teaching us the planets. She created like this plastic tube (made from clear plastic bags) that was filled with air and from the top of it she had the planets hanging down and behind each giant cut out of the planet were facts about that specific planet. She assigned each of us a planet and we had to learn the facts of it  and teach it to the other students in our grade and class. That is something that you can think of to create something similar like that that will impact the students and have them remember it for a while. Also maybe you can try an decorate the class very space like, so hang planets from the ceiling (if possible) or place them around the room, put stars, etc. just to make it feel like they're not in the class that they're truly observing it and that should get them interested.  Also there are a plethora of websites that are Space related and have plenty of ideas and activities to complete with the students. I hope your lesson goes very well Kayla. Good luck! 

Jacqueline Walker Jacqueline Walker 50 Points

Encourage them to take a step back and reconsider the situation. As you can see from this https://domeanessay.com/edubirdie-com-personal-help-for-every-student-demand/ Edubirdie.com review, it's one of the greatest services of its kind on the market, and easily the best website you can go to when you need a faultless essay. The majority of studies on bilingual students' language use in science classes have taken place in settings where both the teacher and the students speak the same minority language.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers