Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Evaporation

Chemistry

Evaporation

Author Post
Karan Kaur Karan Kaur 905 Points

If you guys are looking for an activity to do with your kindergartners and first graders about evaporation I have something for you! It is not time consuming at all and you can multi task with it. Take a cup of water and put it by the window sill and watch the level of the water change everyday. Let your little ones observe this and make an anchor chart of how the water is decreasing. This is happening due to evaporation which is caused by the heat from the sun. This can be a good engagement before going deep into the lesson. Try this with your kiddos! 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

It might be enhanced by starting with a clear cup of ice cubes! Then they can relate to change of states. I've even left a clear cup of ice in front of the room first thing in the morning without saying anything about it. Once I see it's all melted, I walk over and say, "Someone stole my ice-cubes!" The students then tell me, "No, it melted." "How do you know?" They giggled about it and would make references to it whenever we would study states of matter. I can now add your step of evaporation to it. I would use a marker to mark the water level each day.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers