Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Bringing outdoor, indoor

General Science and Teaching

Bringing outdoor, indoor

Author Post
Kate Keith Kate Keith 180 Points

Hi, I am a preservice teacher.  How do you achieve the full concept of bringing outdoor, indoor? How do you make sure your students are getting out of it what they need to? For example, going outside to pick up leaves and bringing them back inside to do experiments to see why leaves change colors.  How do you transition smoothly where yo do not lose any students attention? 

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Kate,

Your wondering how s right on target. Your questions are very real to an in-service teacher. Whether you are in or out with students the planning for the learning experience must be done. I’m wondering what grade level you are thinking about as you ask your questions. My response might be different depending on the answer. I also think about the standard I am addressing to determine what is the best learning opportunity I can provide for the students. 

Kathy

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Kate,

I love teaching outdoors!  Part of the problem you face is the novelty of taking your students outside your classroom and wasting time walking out and back in.  As Jacqueline has stated - you plan, plan, plan!  But remember, planning does not mean that you dictate every moment the students have outside.  Build the activity as an inquiry and allow students some flexibility in asking questions, gathering data and exploring. Don't make going outside a lecture under the trees.

Transitions are some of the most important things to consider - as you are already aware.  You can eliminate difficult transitions by...eliminating them entirely!  Structure your activity where the students meet you outdoors and spend the entire period outside.  Whatever you plan - try to run through it yourself beforehand so you can avoid pitfalls (literally and figuratively), check safety and guage the time commitment.  Prepare the students the day before so they know where to go, what to wear, what to bring and what NOT to bring (large back packs, food, etc). Prepare all the materials you will need the day before - including checklists that the students will need to complete for the activity.  I recommend you ask for some volunteers to meet you at the classroom to help carry out any materials or equipment.  (I always thanked volunteers with a candy treat.)  Once you have all the students outside, instruct them and give them a timeline for gathering together to return equipment, collect samples and have a discussion before dismissal. Have students keep a log and take photos of their observations which they could share on a virtual drive.  Use these pics next class for discussions.  Get some volunteers to help carry stuff back to the classroom.  The 'indoor' investigation can continue next period.  

Hope this helps!

James Johnson James Johnson 95308 Points

Hi Kate!  It's great that you want to incorporate environmental education into your classroom! I guess a good place to start would be to check your state academic standards to align them with your activity. Also, many of the states have anchors with class goals. Then, of course, there's the NGSS! After that, I would work up a lesson plan for the activity with what you specifically want and gear your class intro to your expectations. Once you get outside be prepared for the unexpected but praise the kids for their observations. It's a great way for a hands-on intro to the Scientific Method. After returning to class, I would start a class discussion on what was observed. The class observations might transition into extensions and enrichment activities. Best of luck with your environmental education activities!

Jacquelyn White Jacquelyn White 988 Points

I would plan the activity out from start to finish. Depending on the grade level that you are teaching would determine the activity. I think this is a great way for students to learn about the outside world. There are so many different activities that can be done, to help teach them about the outside world. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers