Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Student Teaching

New Teachers

Student Teaching

Author Post
Olivia Barnett Olivia Barnett 448 Points

I am currently part time student teaching and will be a full time student teacher next semester so I am looking for some advice on how to get the students to avoid the thought process of 'this doesn't matter she is just a student teacher'. I know it can be hard to deter this - as I am currently finding out - so any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance! 

Rebecca Leahy Rebecca Leahy 2065 Points

Hi Olivia!

I'm startig my student teaching next semester but I tend to have a similar problem in my service learning classroom. I'm in a second grade classroom- what grade are you in? One thing that has helped a bit is the teacher making it clear to the students that they should treat me with the same respect as they would her. I don't have much other advice but would like to see what others say and join the conversation. Lets see what they say!

Olivia Barnett Olivia Barnett 448 Points

Hi Rebecca! 

I am an ADED major and my placement is for 10th grade biology. Unfortunately, this grade and time frame can be tough for students in general with respect for teachers because a significant portion of them don't really want to be there or are being defiant by this point. I think that it is clear that their 'normal' teacher expects it out of them but that isn't always what is occurring. Hopefully, the more I teach the more it will become clear to them that I too am an adult in a position of some form of authority who gives and requires respect. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers