Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / How do you stay motivated/ on task with distance learning?

Distance Learning

How do you stay motivated/ on task with distance learning?

Author Post
Jennifer Hernandez Jennifer Hernandez 355 Points

For me, it has been very difficult to stay on task and keep up with my classes. I often get distracted or I loose motivation, so I would like to ask: How  do you stay motivated/ on task with distance learning? 

Marina Silva Marina Silva 300 Points

Hello Jennifer, it is very hard to stay motivated during the pandemic and online learning. I found myself struggling to want to do things every day. I think what has helped me best is setting a daily to-do list. It can be from starting major assignments to something as simple as doing laundry. My to-do lists are not set up specifically towards school, but every day I have a few tasks, big or small, from schoolwork, housework, to actual work that I can do that would help me feel productive and get things done. I don't really put myself down for not finishing the entire list that day. I found it very helpful and hope this is something you could do to help!

Gloria Rodriguez Gloria Rodriguez 215 Points

Hi Jennifer! First, I would like to say, everybody has difficulty with online learning and it is important for you to stay encouraged and don't doubt yourself. For me, personally, I have to keep a paper planner. I helps me to write down all of my assignments all in one place and keep it close to my laptop. Then at the beginning of the week, I write down all I have to do for that week and the days they are due. I also like to color-code my classes so I don't have to guess what assignment is for which class. 

A way I stay motivated is by giving myself little incentives or rewards after I finish each assignment. I feel this helps me bcause then I have something to look forward to. I also take frequent breaks through out the times or days I am doing all my school work. These breaks could just be watching one episode of a show or going for a walk. This keeps my mental state clear and helps me to not be bogged down by all of the work I have to do.

I totally understand, distance learning is very difficult but if you stay focused and motivated you will feel a sense of accomplishment. Its also okay if you break your routine, just don't beat yourself up over it. Just take a breath and get back to it! You got this! Hope some of these ideas will help you to stay focused and motivated!

Arlette Morin Arlette Morin 500 Points

Hello Jenniffer, you can stay motivated/ on task with distance learning by setting up a virtual study group when you need help, allow breaks when doing your assigments, eat and sleep properly. I do agree that it is very difficult to stay motivated by having the courses online, but if you stay focused and motivated you will feel proud about yourself. Good luck! 

Bianca Garcia Bianca Garcia 360 Points

hello jennifer! 

i honestly don't even know how i stay on task with distance learning. there are literally so many distractions here at home and my mind goes somewhere else all the time. it is difficult not going to lie but I think the two main things to stay motivated with anything is to make sure you eat & stay hydrated and getting enough sleep. i learned this the hard way. there was one day where i only munched on fruits throughout the day and never really had a real good meal and with very little sleep, i fainted. the doctor had told me being in front of the computer all day wasn't helping either so that i should take breaks as often as i can. thank God i started working again so that way my body is up and moving and not just sitting down all day working on work. everything got sorted out and now i'm able to handle everything all in one plate and still be healthy with eating good and getting enough rest. i believe in you and i know that you can do it! if you ever need advice on anything, i'm here! 

Anndrea Aguilar Anndrea Aguilar 335 Points

Usually at the beginning of the semester I like to print out all my syllabus, and highlight the due dates and any important information I need. I have this planner where I write out the due dates and have a check list of my six classes and it is weekly so by having the check list it motivates me to finish the work for that week and/or the next week. I like to focus on one class at a time, and take breaks in between work. I like to start off my day active, and by being active I say active. I try to keep myself motivated by not having any distractions around me while I am doing homework or any class work. By finishing assignments or chapters motivates me to knock off more work that way I have free time to myself. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers