Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / The Very Impatient Caterpillar Lesson

Elementary Science

The Very Impatient Caterpillar Lesson

Author Post
Jazmin Perez Jazmin Perez 350 Points

A scholastic book 'The Very Impatient Caterpillar' by: Ross Burach is a great fiction book that can be used for differenct subjects such as Science or Social Studies. In your lesson you can teach the life cycle of a butterfly or my favorite social studies lesson, teaching social skills of being patient. This is such a fun book to read that is filled with dialogue. I believe children of many age groups will enjoy.

Theresia Fadhe Theresia Fadhe 4135 Points

Jazmin Perez,

Thank you for sharing this great idea and book.  I am sure students will find it fun and more interesting to learn about the life cycle of a butterfly through story/picture book over just learning about it through the textbook or memorizing it.  Different activities can be done using the concept or the lesson on the life cycle of a butterfly.  You are absolutely right that this lesson is not only for science but it can be developed or used in other subjects.    

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

Children love to observe living organisms and they learn about those organisms needs for survival when they observe over time and discuss their ideas. 

I wrote a blog post about using beetles as the animal children observe over time to learn about the same life stages that butterflies go through. It's a great way to find out that many insects also have life stage changes just like butterflies!

http://blog.nsta.org/2016/02/25/beetles-before-butterflies/ 

Best wishes,

Peggy

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers