Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Earth Science

Earth and Space Science

Earth Science

Author Post
Cori Lyn Shikuma Cori Lyn Shikuma 1175 Points

Does anyone teach 4th grade science and taught slow and fast changes in the earth? I have lots of hands on activities for the students to do, but would like some feedback on assessments that they give. In the past years I had all these pictures of the slow and fast changes as well as captions. They had to cut and past the pictures and the captions, match the captions with the correct pictures and place them under slow or fast changes. It seemed like a good idea at first because it wouldn't require the students to write anything, which most of my students have a hard time writing, but when they had to cut out all the pictures and the words they started to lose everything! Anyone have any other suggestions?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Hi Cori, Be sure to check out the resources that Tina and others mentioned at the thread entitled, ' Changes in the Earth's Surface'.
Also the USGS (United State Geological Survey) contains many great resources - especially on earthquakes and volcanoes. I love their remote sensing photos taken with EROS. As a formative assessment, I can see using some of the photos of various landforms being projected for students to determine the type of land change being observed. I am sure others will share other ideas for assessing this concept.

Cori Lyn Shikuma Cori Lyn Shikuma 1175 Points

Thanks Carolyn!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers