Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Classroom Management

Early Childhood

Classroom Management

Author Post
Riley Preuss Riley Preuss 1380 Points

Hello! I am a senior in college and am hoping to be a preschool educator! I am reaching out to find more classroom management tips for little ones! I feel this is one of the hardest things as a teacher and I am just trying to find new and different ways that may be out there to work in my own classroom someday! Classroom management is hard so I'm also wondering how you deal with a class that is just overall hard to work with. How do you facilitate learning in order for them to get something out of the lesson? Any and all tips are appreciated! 

Staci Neufeld Staci Neufeld 85 Points

I taught preschool for over 10years! When it came to classroom management, I was awarded many times for having it. First thing with preschool is having a schedule and routine set for them. Have the schecdule for the day visiable for them to see and go over it with them during morning meeting time at carpet. One thing I learned teaching preschool is that the more I repeated myself, the more the children learned what came first, next and would be last. Routine is very important for classroom management. Preschool students will learn how their day will go with routine, if at any time you have to change the routine be sure to give them notice and be patient with the adjustment to it. Set expectations with them as well, have classroom rules and go over with them every morning. Set up an award chart (as a whole class) and if you make it to your award on your chart for following classroom expecations have a class reward party. Create some kind of attention getter with students as well, maybe a clap - a saying or light flickering. Once one is set, go over it with the students and let them know when this happens it is time to stop-look and listen for directions. Classroom managment will come at ease once you set your goals for what you want from your students in your classroom!

Kristine Rowland Kristine Rowland 2290 Points

Hi Riley, I think you will find that when it comes to classroom management 1. it will depend a lot on the teacher's opinions 2. What works for one, will not work for all. In fact, what works one year, may not work the next year. My school uses PBIS. Students earn points every day and they can either spend them once a week at the school store or they can save them to go to a big party at the end of the quarter. I teach kindergarten, and this is very difficult for them. They don't understand that if they buy something, they can not have option two later. For years I used the clothes pins and color chart. Students clip up or down depending on how they are doing throughout the day. It is a pretty easy system and students understand it well. I have found that having helpers and class jobs is a great motivator and incentive for students. They love to be the teacher's helper, line leader, etc. Recently I have found that having a 'calm down area' is helpful and needed. I don't let them go for as long as they want. They can choose the 1-minute, 3-minute, or 5-minute sand timer. There are soft pillows, and on the wall, I have that sequin fabric (the kind where it looks one color, and when you rub it, it changes color). You would be amazed at how preschool children can learn to use their words. It takes some practice, but soon they will be able to say, I am upset because.... It takes some modeling, of course, but they catch on. Finally, my last tip is to try and stay ahead of it. Look for possible issues and prevent them from happening in the first place. For example, if Sue and Sam are constantly arguing, just move their seats. You will start seeing things and think, that may be a problem. If you wait, it probably will. Better to get ahead of it and prevent it from happening than deal with the aftermath later.  Oh, one last thing from an old teacher...if all else fails, students will work hard for a sticker, stamp, or candy :)

Riley Preuss Riley Preuss 1380 Points

Hello  Kristine! 

Thank you very much for these suggestions. I would agree with you that classroom management will vary from grade to grade! Not everything works the same for everyone! I do think that incentives are a great part of classroom management but that is not something I want to rely on as working for my own classroom as then I have to do the same for each child so it is equal which can be time-consuming. It can be hard to keep those equal among every child! I do like the idea if it can be kept constant! Calm corners have become very popular among the classrooms that I have visited which may be a sign to add to my own classroom! I really like your idea of staying ahead of the game and pre-planning for what may become which will hopefully come with years of practice. Again, thank you for the suggestions, they will be used in the future :) 

Lindsay Patten Lindsay Patten 760 Points

Hi Riley,

I agree with having your students on a schedule is important. Preschoolers crave structure and having a schedule allows them to anticipate what to expect next. I always have one with pictures on my front board. Some students use the picture schedule to explain what we have left in the day. I would also like to agree and add that tricks and tips that work for one group may not work for another. Several fun things I am consistently using in my classroom for behavior management are having them help with a teacher task, using songs and/or rhymes for transitions, and giving them choices. Choices allow them to still feel in charge even if both choices are an undesired behavior or task. A recent example where I used this strategy was a child not wanting to sit down at the table. The option I gave them was, “you can sit in this seat, or you can sit in that one.” The child typically has been redirected to pick out their own seat, where originally, they did not want to sit down at all. However, it may work for this student, but you may need another approach for a different child.

Another successful trick is to create a phrase or clapping pattern that has been rehearsed frequently, when noise levels are high or you need to grab students’ attention – begin reciting or clapping a pattern – overtime, students will catch on and finish the phrase or pattern for you. Also, lowering your voice and giving directions, for example, “If you can hear me pat your head, If you can hear me point to something that is green, etc.” and repeat with same or additional task. From my experiences, it is a helpful trick when lining up or grabbing their attention. It can also turn into a fun game and/or reviewing something you’ve been talking about (body parts, colors, letters, shapes, etc.).

The last thing I wanted to add is to always focus on the desired behavior versus correcting undesired behaviors. I use phrases like, “I like you r walking feet,” versus “don’t run.” Or, “We need to be gentle with our bodies and make sure we have space,” instead of, “Please, don’t tackle your friend.”

Stephanie Graham Stephanie Graham 1945 Points

I have worked in the pre-k environment for six years and behavior management is very important. Whether you decide to be a strong disciplinarian or more lenient. Some years you may need to be a strong disciplinarian and some years you may not. The important part is that you decide how you want to handle behavior and you go with it. Your behavior management style may morphe over the years but whatever you do it is importance that behavior does not control your classroom environment. I have had years where the behavior frustrated me so badly that it affected how i handled everything else in the classroom. That is not fun. You want the classroom to be fun but managed. I agree with the others that posted. Focusing on the positive behaviors seems to work better than focusing on the negative behaviors. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers