Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Assessments in Science

Elementary Science

Assessments in Science

Author Post
Ashton Childree Ashton Childree 200 Points

Hello, I am a preservice teacher and I have been learning a lot about formative assessments in literacy. I was wondering about any possible ways, suggestions, or strategies you can use for conducting on-going assessments in science?

Kerra Harmon Kerra Harmon 190 Points

Hello! I as well am a preservice teacher in college, so I have not had a classroom of my own to test my thoughts. However, I think an effective way to conduct an on-going assessment would be to have an experiment that students work on over a period of time and you can take up their science notebook, or whatever it is they use to keep notes and record data during their experiement, to assess what they are learning. 

Abby Staebell Abby Staebell 50 Points

Especially for younger students, journals are very effective in measuring a student's knowledge summatively. Students can record their observations, questions, and predictions in the journal each day and make an overall reflection over their entries. Journals can also be tied into lieracy standards as students improve their writing and development of sentence structures. 

Isabel Asker Isabel Asker 410 Points

Hello. I am currently student teaching in a 4th grade math and science class. We do not often get to teach math but, when we do my mentor teacher and I use visual representations as a form of formative assessment. Upon completion of a lesson, we will have the students create t-charts, mind maps, illustrations, or research. We these as a quick way of assessing our students understanding of the specific concept being presented and for adjustment of instruction to address student needs.

Shirin Nayani Shirin Nayani 405 Points

On-going assessment I do in my classroom is I walk around the room and watch the students as they work or when they talk to their partners. An assessment can also be conducted by asking students questions about what they have learned. If a student is able to explain clearly what they were being taught then the teacher will if he or she needs additional help or not.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers