Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Working with ELLs in the Science Classroom

New Teachers

Working with ELLs in the Science Classroom

Author Post
Meaghan Collins Meaghan Collins 275 Points

In my experience working with ELLs as a substitute teacher (mostly at the elementary level), I have worked with students at different language development levels. To help my ELLs , I avoid using slang, and I will pose questions several different ways. I have also used visual aids to assist students. I have noticed that the ELL students I have worked with do not always participate in whole class discussion. To elicit student responses, I will pose open ended questions. Does anyone have other strategies to help ELLs feel more comfortable speaking in front of the class? 

Next semester, I will be student teaching high school biology. Introducing the students to biological terminology may be a challenge based on my students langauge development level. Often terms such as theory or law have different definitions in science than common language. During my observations, I have observed teachers pairing ELLs with a student who is bilingual during group work. The student who is bilingual can translate for the ELL. However, I have not observed any other strategies for helping ELLs learn science. Does anyone have suggestions for how to set ELLs up for success in the science classroom? What are some strategies for helping ELLs write lab reports?   

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Hi Meaghan,

First of all best of luck with your student teaching next semester.  How exciting!

There is an excellent set of articles on this very topic in The Science Teacher (March 2011).  The first one is called Teaching Science to ELLs: Part 1 at https://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/4/tst11_078_03_35 and the other is in the same journal called Teaching Science to ELLs: Part 2 at https://common.nsta.org/resource/default.aspx?id=10.2505%2f4%2ftst11_078_03_40

The author promotes performance based assessments for ELL students and stresses the modifying for ELLs does not mean compromising or lowering the content of the lesson or the difficulty of the assessment task. I think you will find lots of great strategies to consider from these two articles.

Best,

Carolyn Mohr,

Adjunct Professor, Dominican University

River Forest, IL

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers