Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Basic Animal Needs Lesson

Elementary Science

Basic Animal Needs Lesson

Author Post
Veronica Perez Veronica Perez 815 Points

Hello,

I am creating a 5E lesson on the science TEKS: 2.10A observe, record, and compare how the physical characteristics and behaviors of animals help them meet their basic needs. For my evaluate, I was planning to have the students complete a the L section from a KWL chart. The idea is that K and W would be complete by the time I get to the evaluation part of the lesson, and students will complete the L ('What I learned?'). I was thinking on having students write what they learned on a post it note and post it on the chart. My other idea was to have them raise thier hands and I write thier answer on the chart. What do you think? I am open for suggestions and advice. 

Kim Ly Kim Ly 570 Points

I think it's a great idea for the post it note, I would before doing so remind them of the expectations of manners. So telling the children not to look at someone's else's post it note and remarking 'That's wrong!'  or even telling them to not move another person's post it note.  But it's a great idea so you can at least see what the students are learning. 

The having them raise their hands to put their answers on the chart is the easiest way, where you would be guaranteed to get various answers though you can't see all the student progress I would probably do this for the k chart portion to save time but not do this for the L portion.

Jennifer Augustyn Jennifer Augustyn 785 Points

For the sake of time, I would think having the children write what they've learned on a post-it note would be quicker than calling each individual, listening to the response, and summarizing/writing their response on the chart while having your back turned. They might be more likely in this situation to yell out 'ME TOO' (our class uses a hand signal for this exact reason) or to get off task while you are trying to write neatly (as I've seen firsthand with my mentor teacher's classroom). Plus, it allows the shy students and those who think outside of the box to express their thinking without 'judgment' from the rest of the kids. You could have them write their names on the back of the post-it to make it seem more anonymous. Hope this helped! 

Kimberly Alvarez Kimberly Alvarez 315 Points

I think that would be a great way to evaluate/assess student understanding. I like how with this format you will be able to analyze students understanding before and after the lesson all in one poster. I think that the post it idea would be best, because it is a way in which to receive an answer from every student and not just a selected few, that the old raise your hand and share allows. It also helps those students who are to shy to share in whole group some comfort and privacy/anonymousity.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers