970x250 - Exploration Generation (Girl+Rocket)

Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Where Does Space Begin?

Earth and Space Science

Where Does Space Begin?

Author Post
Andrew Fraknoi Andrew Fraknoi 410 Points

Dear Colleagues:

The current discussion between Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos about where space begins may lead to questions from students, colleagues and friends about this issue.   A few years ago I created an activity, called "How High Up is Space," for the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, on this topic, and it is available free at:

https://astrosociety.org/file_download/inline/74e02a72-a5c6-48d3-a498-d87732a44388 

Andrew Fraknoi

(Former Executive Director, Astronomical Society of the Pacific)

Javier Cisneros Javier Cisneros 423 Points

Hello there Mr Fraknoi, I was very amused and interested in your assignment as I was eager myself to print it out and complete it, by allowing the students to expand their mind with a question to really hook them into the lesson, I am sure you are very successful in the classroom. Thank you for the material!

Melissa Espinoza Melissa Espinoza 300 Points

When I read the question, I never really thought about it till now.  For me, space begain at the atmosphere.  Now that we have people going to "space," is it really space.  My students will really be engaged in this lesson. Thank You!

Christine Graham Christine Graham 695 Points

I have never seen a modeling activity like this before!  I really like the calculations-- it will help give the students a more concrete understanding of where space is.... Thank you for sharing :)

Barbara Pippin Barbara Pippin 10 Points

I am a college student and I am writing an essay assignment on How High Up is Space and thanks to you for sharing that article with us in which I can find information on this topic. I also want to write an essay on Personal Growth and Development and for that I have found this https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/personal-growth-and-development/ site in which I have found free essay samples. Now, I can complete both of my essay in the given time.

Lee Trampleasure Lee Trampleasure 240 Points

Great activity!

I also like to include the height of the ISS (about same as Hubble), GPS satellites--12,700 km, and 'satellite TV' satellites (geostationary)--35,800km. Only downside of including these is that the GPS satellites would be 16 m away, and the geosynchronous satallites would be 28 meters away--so you'd have to take the model out to the soccer/football field!

Amy Crisler Amy Crisler 170 Points

In your nursing programmer you can take classes in patient education clinical and scientific skills ethics and humanistic ideals You might also need to take courses in microbiology anatomy and physiology nutrition and communication theory depending on your institution and level of study click this link https://www.homeschoolcookbook.com/nursing-school-guide.html Although at first look these courses can seem like a lot they are important for helping your transition into the real world of nursing practice.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers